After having her first child, Nicole Sullivan struggled with her weight to the point that it was “torture,” she says. So when she was a few months away from giving birth to her second, Sullivan made herself a pact: “I was not going to spend the first year-and-a-half (or more) of my child’s life hating myself.”
She decided to call Jenny Craig to help get her pre-baby body back and to teach her how to find a healthier lifestyle. Thirty-five pounds later, the actress who most recently appeared on Cougartown, has discovered her inner athlete. She even crossed the finish line at the MORE/FITNESS Half-Marathon last month!
Just in time for Mother’s Day, we caught up with the funny mom for her top five tips about shaping up and setting a fit example for your kids.
- Don’t let the haters get you down. “L.A. is a great city, but it can be cruel if you’re overweight. I learned that my body will never be like Jessica Biel’s body…or even close! My only obligation is to be the best me I can be. For many actresses, they strive for (and achieve) being a size 0. For me, a size 4 means I’m rockin’ it. It’s all about making realistic goals.”
- Run your town. “The other day we were driving by a park filled with joggers, and my oldest son said, ‘Mom, you should go jogging here. You’d love it!’ How cute! My sons will never know the mom who didn’t run, who didn’t take walks or who didn’t compete in 10Ks and half-marathons. That’s a great lesson, I hope. Activity will always be in our lives. Before I lost weight, it almost never was.”
- Find some motivation. “The people on The Biggest Loser absolutely inspire me. If they can work out for four hours carrying around all that weight, certainly I can jump on the treadmill for 45 minutes. And I love that Reese Witherspoon still jogged even after she got hit by a car. That would have sent me back to my couch. But not her. Plus, she’s adorable and has great calves!”
- Crank up the cardio. “Once I lost the weight I did something I never thought I would do. I started jogging! I hated jogging. I hated joggers. I thought the whole thing was silly and cruel. But part of me always wanted to be the person that said, ‘Bye guys—I’m going out for a jog.’ So I started with 20 seconds at first, then a minute, then five minutes, then a mile. Last year I ran my first half-marathon and now I’m training for my fourth half-marathon this July. It’s crazy!”
- Start the day (and snack) smart. “I love my Jenny food. Their breakfasts are so good and so filling and I’m a big breakfast eater! My favorite is their egg breakfast sandwich. During the day, I grab Jenny cheese popcorn or mustard pretzel sticks and bring them in the car with me. They’re yummy and guilt free! Also, sugar-free Jello is good way to handle a sweet craving (I usually have 2).”
Moms tell us: How do you stay fit and how have you started your kids on the same healthy path?
Written by Alyssa Belanger, editorial intern
Following in the footsteps of Madonna, Cher and Beyonce, a popular diet plan is now just known by its first name—Jenny—and teaming up with another big name: Mariah!
Last week, Carey, the best-selling female music artist of all time, announced her partnership with the diet program formerly known as Jenny Craig. In the past four months, the new mom of twins has lost 30 pounds (with the program—70 since she gave birth) and is feeling as proud of her body as ever.
During her pregnancy, Carey was uncomfortable with the extra weight she had put on. “I used to feel comfortable being naked—not in public, of course!—but with the weight I didn’t feel good being naked anymore,” she said at a press conference announcing the partnership. After her weight gain and before starting her health makeover, Carey wouldn’t even let hubby Nick Cannon see her bathing nude.
Today, Carey is back to her curvaceous, confident self! She admitted that losing the weight was not easy at first, due to adjusting to life as a mom and required time off from exercise, but thanks to her personal drive and some help from the people at Jenny, Carey says she was able to make simple lifestyle changes to get back to a healthy weight.
So, how is the mom of two keeping the weight off? In addition to following the Jenny program, Carey is enjoying spending time with her twins Monroe and Moroccan Scott in the pool.
More from FITNESS:
- Top Moves to Get Your After-Baby Body, Fast!
- Omega-3: The Must-Have Nutrient for Moms
- The Truth About Your Body After Baby