Written on October 14, 2011 at 4:11 pm , by Karla Walsh
This week’s fit links from around the web:
- Only two percent of women consider themselves beautiful, a Harvard survey found. Start a confidence-boosting trend on Sunday when “Fat Talk Free Week” kicks off. — End Fat Talk
- Fill a smart cart! What you buy at the grocery store (and eat) may offset your genetic heart disease risk. — NY Daily News
- Attention-seeker or interesting experiment? A personal trainer has gained 70 pounds on a “Fit 2 Fat 2 Fit” program to live in his clients shoes. — Yahoo! Shine
- Take your meetings on-the-go and two other tricks to make your workday healthier. — FitSugar
- Popcorn is a healthy snack, right? Not so fast…A large order at the movies can pack in 130 grams of fat! — Hungry Girl
Written on May 27, 2011 at 9:21 am , by Marianne Magno
Are you sitting down for this? You probably shouldn’t be. A review of work-related physical activity over the last five decades found that the number of jobs requiring moderate activity has declined to only 20 percent; the other 80 percent of jobs are sedentary or require only light movement.
Since we’re sitting here typing this right now, this isn’t really shocking news. So what does it mean for us with desk jobs? It means that trying to watch your diet and going to the gym before or after work isn’t quite enough to stay fit. Ross C. Brownson, an epidemiologist at Washington University in St. Louis, who was cited in the study, points to the need “to broaden our definition of physical activity” beyond the traditional planned time we devote to our workout and to find ways to sneak more exercise in our daily routine.
Here are some quick ways to make sure you’re up and about:
- Set up a reminder every hour for you to get up and move around.
- Move printers farther away from your desk.
- Invite a coworker to walk around on your lunch break.
- Stand up and stretch during long conference calls.
- Do a 10-minute workout and quick yoga moves at your cube.
Now tell us: How do you sneak in more activity at work? Share your tips!