Written on December 12, 2013 at 4:18 pm , by Colleen Moody
It may be considered an unlucky number, but this year was far from it for celebrities, bringing out quite a few OMG post-baby bodies, weight loss wonders and a new crop of A-list abs. Below, check out the celebs who lunged and lifted their way onto our best bodies list this year.
1. Penelope Cruz: The Counselor star welcomed her second child, daughter Luna, in July and popped back up on the red carpet in amazing shape just three months after giving birth. She credits following a Mediterranean diet, dancing, and chasing after her kids for getting her back into shape after both pregnancies.
2. Jennifer Lawrence: To prep for Catching Fire, Lawrence tackled agility drills, sprint intervals, medicine ball exercises and cardio on a stationary bike to get in kick-ass Katniss shape. On top of her healthy workouts she has an even healthier outlook on body image. Admitting that in the past she was threatened with being fired if she didn’t lose weight for certain roles, she refuses to diet, saying, “I’d rather look chubby on screen and like a person in real life.”
3. Sandra Bullock: It’s hard to believe that the star of this year’s hit Gravity is 49 years old. So what’s her secret? She mixes it up with a cardio and strength training combo for an hour a day, six days a week. Her sweaty staples include Pilates, kickboxing, weight lifting, and running or biking when she’s traveling.
4. Kerry Washington: The new mommy-to-be and Scandal star was recently named People’s Best Dressed of 2013. To get her stylish shape, she doesn’t obsess over the number on the scale. Instead, she does Pilates, which she says helps her focus on her appearance in healthy ways while also slashing stress. As for her diet, she loves shopping at farmer’s markets and enjoys fresh food that makes her feel good.
5. Scarlett Johansson: The Don Jon and newly engaged star was recently named Esquire‘s “Sexiest Woman Alive” for 2013, making her the only two-time winner in the magazine’s history. When she’s not preparing for a role, she hits the gym twice a week and tends to favor weight lifting and core exercises over cardio. “To be honest, I work out like a guy!” she’s admitted in the past.
6. Julia Louis-Dreyfus: It seems that every year the 52-year-old Veep star keeps getting fitter and fitter. A self-proclaimed exercise junkie, she recently stated, “I think I’m addicted to the post-workout high,” and stays in shape by hiking with her family, doing toning exercises on a BOSU ball and logging miles on the treadmill.
Read more for the full list!