By Dawn Jackson Blatner, RD
You’ve just eaten lunch and BAM—the desire to take a nap hits you like a ton of bricks. If your mid-day meals are dragging you down, swap in one of these energizing salads instead of your usual fare.
With the help of The Dole Taste of Spain Salads, I have posted 31 salad recipes throughout May. Below are the final 5 delicious salads, each focused on giving you a shot of natural energy to get the most out of your day.
Sherry Vinaigrette Salad w/ Serrano Ham Breadsticks & Roasted Red Peppers
ENERGY BOOST: Red Peppers. The vitamin C in red peppers helps absorb iron in greens for healthy red blood cells – which carry energizing oxygen throughout the body.
- 1 pkg. (5 oz.) DOLE® Spring Mix
- 8 pieces roasted red pepper, thinly sliced
- 8 paper thin slices Serrano ham or Prosciutto
- 8 thin breadsticks
Sherry Vinaigrette Dressing
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 6 tablespoons of olive oil
- salt and pepper (optional)
- Make dressing: Whisk together sherry vinegar, shallot and Dijon mustard. Slowly whisk in olive oil until blended. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. (Makes about 3/4 cup.)
- Toss spring mix with sherry vinaigrette to taste; add roasted red peppers.
- Place piece of ham on a flat work surface, such as a cutting board. Wrap tightly around a breadstick. Repeat with remaining breadsticks.
- Divide salad evenly among plates; place 2 ham breadsticks on each plate. Drizzle with additional dressing, if desired. Serve immediately.
Here are more Energizing Salad recipes:
1. Romaine Salad with Orange, Feta & Beans
ENERGY BOOST: Beans. Their high fiber & protein content work to regulate blood sugar to prevent energy spikes & crashes.
2. Nouveau Nicoise
ENERGY BOOST: Potatoes. Their unprocessed, smart carb content gives a dose of time-released energy.
3. Arugula & Avocado Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette
ENERGY BOOST: Grapefruit. Its high water content hydrates and its fresh, invigorating flavor acts as a natural perk-me-up.
4. Grilled Shrimp Salad with Green Tea Citrus Dressing
ENERGY BOOST: Green Tea. The caffeine in green tea provides a subtle, gentle energy without a jittery side effect.
About the Author: Dawn Jackson Blatner, RDN, CSSD is a registered dietitian nutritionist and certified specialist in sports nutrition based in Chicago. She is the author of The Flexitarian Diet. Dawn is working with Dole throughout the month of May to inspire more salad eating.