By Dawn Jackson Blatner, RD Superfoods help keep us healthy and youthful. They potentially fight diseases such as diabetes, cancer and heart disease and may even help slow the aging process. So what better foods to toss into your salads? With the help of The Dole Taste of Spain Salads, I am posting 31 salad recipes throughout the month of May -- enough for a different salad every day. This week, the 7 featured recipes have a Mediterranean vibe and are packed with suprfoods. These salads are high in flavor, easy on the waistline and will supercharge your health and energy so you can enjoy all the activities summer has to offer from volleyball to paddle boarding to playing frisbee on the beach.
Southern Spanish Market Salad
SUPERFOOD SPOTLIGHT: Avocado. Avocados are worshiped for their heart healthy unsaturated fat, filling fiber (14 grams per avocado!) and essential nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin K and folate.
- 1 package (11.3 oz.) DOLE All-Natural Ultimate Caesar Kit
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1 avocado, peeled, and cut into chunks
- 1 medium bell pepper, cut into short thin strips
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 anchovy fillets (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine all DOLE® All-Natural Ultimate Caesar Kit ingredients except Caesar Dressing. Add olives, avocado, bell pepper, balsamic vinegar and toss with dressing.
- Transfer salad to shallow bowls or plates and garnish each with an anchovy fillet, if desired.
- Family Friendly Suggestion: So you’re a poultry person...no problem! Try swapping anchovies for a half-cup of pulled or diced cooked chicken to add extra protein that pairs just as easily with olives, cheery bell peppers and balsamic.
Serves 4. Serving size: 1/4 salad. 252 calories and 19g fat per serving. Here are more Superfood Salad recipes. Check back next week for a new round of salads! Seville Potato Verde SUPERFOOD SPOTLIGHT: Potatoes. Potatoes contain resistant starch, which is a compound that works overtime to help you feel fuller longer. Also, potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin C and potassium. Raspberry Avocado & Mango SUPERFOOD SPOTLIGHT: Raspberries. Raspberries are loaded with anti-cancer and anti-inflammation compounds. Plus they are a low-cal, high nutrition way to curb a sweet tooth. Beet Salad w/ Citrus Goat Cheese SUPERFOOD SPOTLIGHT: Beets. Thanks to a unique pigment, called betalain, biting into a beet provides antioxidants, reduces inflammation and may help flush toxins out of the body. Beets are also rich in blood pressure lowering nitrates. Crunchy Broccoli Salad SUPERFOOD SPOTLIGHT: Broccoli. Raw broccoli provides high amounts of immune-boosting vitamin C and bone-beneficial vitamin K. Endless Summer 3-Bean Salad SUPERFOOD SPOTLIGHT: Beans. Beans provide protein, heart smart fiber and energy enhancing iron. Beans also help keep cholesterol in check and blood sugar balanced. Caprese Chopped Salad SUPERFOOD SPOTLIGHT: Tomatoes. Tomatoes are rich in antioxidants (particularly the trifecta of carotinoids: lycopene, lutein and zeaxanthin) which may improve the health of particularly your eyes and heart. About the Author: Dawn Jackson Blatner, RDN, CSSD is a registered dietitian nutritionist and certified specialist in sports nutrition based in Chicago. She is the author of The Flexitarian Diet. Dawn is working with Dole throughout the month of May to inspire more salad eating.