There are few better ways to show mom how much you care than breakfast in bed. That tray of goodies—perhaps pancakes with sausage or Eggs Benedict—sure tastes great, but may not be too nice for her health, though.
New research found that a meat-free diet can cut risk for heart disease by 32 percent, so the two vegan recipes below from The China Study Cookbook, will keep mom's heart happy, too. By the way, all of the dishes in the book are not only vegetarian, but vegan!
Scrumptious Apple-Filled Turnovers
- 3½–4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon Sucanat
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2½ teaspoons instant (fast rise) yeast
- 1½ cups warm water
- 3 cups apples, diced finely
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- ¾ cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Mix all the turnover ingredients together in a bowl. Knead with your hands for 8–10 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Separate into 8 balls; cover, and let rise for 40 minutes.
- Once turnovers are covered, prepare filling by mixing all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
- After 40 minutes, roll out each ball to a diameter of about 3 inches. Place one heaping tablespoon of filling into the center. For each turnover, fold the edges together to form a half moon. Pinch the edges together with a fork so there are no openings.
- Preheat oven to 425˚F.
- Let your turnovers rise on the counter for 15 minutes, then place turnovers on nonstick baking sheet.
- Bake at 425˚F for 20–25 minutes.
Breakfast Home-Fry Hash
- 4 large potatoes, scrubbed and sliced
- 6 tablespoons vegetable broth, divided
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 teaspoons light soy sauce or tamari
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Cut the potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes and steam them until just tender when pierced with a sharp knife, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons vegetable broth in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, and add the onion and green pepper. Cook, stirring frequently.
- Add the diced potatoes, 3 tablespoons vegetable broth, soy sauce or tamari and black pepper. Cook, turning gently with a spatula, until the potatoes are golden brown.
- Garnish with cherry tomatoes and green onions.
More from FITNESS: