I tried to resist The Hunger Games trend for months, but finally caved and quickly devoured all three books in a matter of weeks last summer. So as soon as I heard about the new Train Like A Tribute workout offered at My Sports Clubs, inspired by the soon-to-be released movie, I knew I wanted my name to be drawn! (Thank goodness this wasn’t the real games—fat cells were the only things being killed.)
After being assigned to district three, I entered the “arena” with about 10 other tributes. We did a quick warm-up, then prepared for the mad dash to the cornucopia filled with the tools necessary to complete the workouts (a mat, dumbbells and archery bow) as well as other helpful items like bottles of water and towels. From there, the trainers gave us a CrossFit-inspired workout that would improve our skills for the arena. Our goal: Finish the most rounds in the allotted time.
AMRAP (as many rounds/reps as possible) of the following moves:
Katniss Killers: Archery
- Using a bow, take an archer’s stance with right foot staggered in front of left.
- Pull back the bow until taut. Instead of releasing bow string, slowly return to start controlling the resistance.
- Do 10 reps.
- (You can sub in the Single Arm Row with Rotation from our other Hunger Games workout if you don’t have a bow handy.)
Capitol Crunches: Tree Climbing
- Lying flat on your back with a 2.5- or 5-pound weight overhead and arms straight, use your core to lift your upper body to a seated position with arms overhead. Keep legs straight throughout the move.
- Slowly lower back to starting position and repeat. Do 10 reps.
Jabber Jay Jacks: Speed/Agility
- Perform a jumping jack, crossing right foot in front of left when you jump feet to the “in” position. During the next rep, jump left foot in front of right.
- Continue performing jacks and alternating feet for 20 reps.
Peeta Presses: Strength
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, holding a dumbbell in each hand, with elbows bent 90 degrees out at shoulder level, palms facing toward face.
- Quickly press dumbbells directly overhead, arms extended, while rotating palms forward. Lower to start position. Do 10 reps
I was able to complete about eight rounds and finished just a few reps behind the victor. But whether our districts came is first or last, we experienced a great strength and cardio workout set to some very fun Hunger Games-themed music.
Want to try it yourself? The class is offered FREE to members and non-members until the end of April at the following My Sports Clubs locations:
- New York: 86th Street and Lexington Avenue NYSC; Tuesdays at 12 p.m.
- Philadelphia: Market Street PSC; Wednesday at 6:30 p.m.
- Boston: Davis Square BSC; Thursday at 7 a.m.
- Washington, D.C.: Chevy Chase WSC; Tuesday at 9:30 a.m.