McDonald's announced yesterday that—for the first time in its history—their annual Shamrock Shake will be available nationwide. Other than meaning that its cult-like following no longer has to track which of the locations offers the green concoction, this also means we're all suddenly faced with yet another easily-accessible temptation! (Not that you should be frequenting fast food restaurants...) Let's break down what you're in for if you consume the seasonal shake:
For a 16 oz. Shamrock Shake...
- 550 calories
- 16 grams of fat (8 of which are saturated, and 1 that's trans fat)
- 96 grams of carbohydrates
- 72 grams of sugar
- 13 grams of protein (from the milk)
- 190 mg of sodium
- 3 oz. of leprechaun blood
- And then these ingredients for the special Shamrock Shake syrup: high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, water, sugar, natural plant flavoring (plant source), xanthan gum, citric acid, sodium benzoate (preservative), yellow 5, blue 1.
Our recommendation: Make a low-calorie vanilla shake at home by using low-fat ice cream and skim milk, add a dash of peppermint extract, and then a couple drops of green food coloring.