Yes, you read that right. Today is National Taco Day! To celebrate, we squeezed our way into the kitchen at Los Feliz in New York City to get a skinny version of one of our favorite party foods. Try this yummy fish taco recipe Chef Julieta Ballesteros shared with us for all the taste and half the calories. Plus, check out some healthy ingredient substitutes to use below for any recipe to make your taco healthier.
Ingredient Swaps for a Healthier Taco:
- Try corn tortillas, they are lighter than flour shells.
- Adding fish in tacos instead of beef will give you a great source of protein while being low in fat.
- Spices like adobo give flavor to your food without packing on extra calories.
- Beans are a great source of minerals and vitamins.
- Chiles can suppress your appetite, making you feel fuller faster.
Read on for Chef Ballesteros recipe for fish tacos.
Tacos de pescado Serves 6 Ingredients:
- 6 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 12 ounces sea bass filet cut into 2 oz strips
- 1/2 cup adobo powder
- *1 cup of cucumber pico de gallo (Dice 1 plum tomato, 1 English cucumber, 1/2 red onion, and 1 teaspoon of minced ginger. Combine with a squeeze of lime, 1 tablespoon agave nectar and salt and pepper to taste. Keep chilled until ready to serve.)
- 1 cup of guacamole (recipe below)
- *1 cup of red pickled cabbage (Combine 1 cup of finely sliced red cabbage with 1/4 cup orange juice, 1/4 cup lime juice, 2 teaspoon agave nectar and salt and pepper to taste. Keep chilled until ready to serve.)
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 1/4 cup white onion diced
- 1/4 teaspoon whole jalapeño chopped
- 2 teaspoons of pickled jalapenos chopped
- 2 teaspoons of jalapeño vinegar
- Squeeze of lime juice
- Salt to taste
In a bowl mash the avocados and combine the rest of the ingredients and chill.
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl dust the sea bass on both sides with adobo powder. Have a non stick sheet pan ready and place the fish on it. Bake for 7 minutes.
- Heat the tortillas on a skillet, top with guacamole and cucumber pico de gallo.
- Add adobo fish and pickled cabbage and serve.