You can have Sadie Lincoln as your at-home trainer with her Barre3 DVD. (Photo courtesy of Sadie Lincoln)
There's one hot trainer on our July/August cover (who will also be guest editing the FITNESS Facebook page tomorrow!), but open to page 66 to find a killer workout from another star exercise expert: Sadie Lincoln. Barre3 mixes the popular barre method with yoga and Pilates to boost users' balance, strength and flexibility. Her dedicated following includes Madonna—if a workout will give us a rock-solid body like hers, sign us up!
We caught up with the busy entrepreneur and mom of two to learn about how she entered the fitness world and how she finds balance even outside of the studio.
I’m writing a movie about your life, tell me the plot.
A small town hippie kid gets a good education, marries the man of her dreams, works her tail off for a large company in a big city, has kids and realizes she wants more meaning in her life. She quits the big job, says goodbye to the big house, big career and "keeping up with the Joneses." She packs the family up, returns to her roots and puts her life savings to work to build her dream company: a family of exercise studios powered by women who share her values to balance both the body and life. After 20 years teaching classes, she puts all her favorite disciplines and yogic philosophy into one workout and is surprised to find it is celebrated by super-moms and super-celebrities alike!
Who would you want to portray you in a movie?
How did you get involved with fitness?
I loved movement and dance at a very young age. My earliest memory of yoga is watching my Mom do yoga in her room out of a paperback book. While attending UCLA, I discovered the power of group exercise classes and ended up leading the instructor training program. This passion led to a graduate assistantship at the College of William and Mary to develop the campus group fitness program while I earned my Masters in Higher Education. Right out of grad school I landed a job with a fast-growth fitness company working direct for the founder and CEO, Mark Mastrov. Little did I know, he would end up being my mentor and one of the most successful fitness entrepreneurs in the world! I am blessed to have a career in fitness and I love helping other women like me find their way in this industry.
For more about Sadie's top fitness gear pick and a typical day in her life, click below.
Sadie helps attendees achieve proper alignment in her stunning studio. (Photo courtesy of Barre3)
What do you consider to be the greatest accomplishment in your career so far?
Creating and owning Barre3 with my husband and business partner, Chris Lincoln. We are completely aligned in our goals to develop a company based on living life to its fullest. For us this means being hands on parents with lots of time for cooking healthy meals, working out and sharing time with friends. What's even more exciting is that our franchise partners are loving this lifestyle-oriented career as much as we are! Watching their success is the most rewarding experience so far.
How did Barre3 come about?
I developed Barre3 based on exactly what I wanted in a workout. I wanted a workout that was dynamic, sophisticated and wise—a workout my cousin in her 20s thinks is cool and my Mom in her 60s enjoys just as much! While I didn't make up yoga, Pilates or barre work, I have a unique way of pulling my favorite disciplines together to balance the body. Barre3 is constantly evolving, and I’m not the only one creating Barre3. I have an amazing team of Barre3 innovators ranging from professional dancers, athletes, doctors, yogis and Pilates enthusiasts. But we all have one common goal: to balance the body and help clients learn how to stand tall.
Workout gear you can’t live without:
Sticky ToeSox. They work well for Barre3 classes because they allow your toes to move around which is really important for proper alignment. They also stick well to our signature cork floors. You feel like you have a yoga mat under you for the whole class!
What’s a typical day like for you?
- 5:30 a.m. Wake for meditation or yoga.
- 7:00 a.m. Eat breakfast with my two kids and husband.
- 8:30 a.m. Teach (and take) Barre3 classes in one of my three studios in the Portland area.
- 11 a.m. Hang out with clients and their kids in our lobby. A great perk of my job is how social it is. I have the most amazing clients!
- 12 p.m. Lunch meeting with prospective franchise candidates and my review team including Chris Lincoln and our Director of Business Development Amy Leclerc. This is the most exciting part of my day. I’m so happy to share this dream job with other women (and some men) like me!
- 1 - 3 p.m. Meet with my instructors and Master Trainers for a creative session about how our class is developing and our instructor training curriculum. I also answer emails and check in with clients and fans of the Barre3 Total Body Lift DVD.
- 3 - 4 p.m. Pick the kids up from school, take them back to the studio or off to one of their many activities.
- 4 – 7 p.m. Family and friends time. Dinner, dishes, bath, books, bed...
- 7 – 9 p.m. Work on my classes and building this amazing company of ours. Catch up on email and Facebook.
- 9-10 p.m. If I’m still awake I watch TV. Currently, I’m obsessed with So You Think You Can Dance!
What’s your favorite body part to work out—and your least favorite?
My favorite? Core. I love coming up with new and effective ways to work the core and improve posture. My least favorite? Quads. I think most of us are over-developed in the quads. I focus more on the butt and hamstrings.
Name your top three guilty pleasures
- Good red wine
- More red wine and chocolate!
What’s coming up next for you?
I am working on at home workouts that will be featured online. I’m very excited to offer a broader audience "real time" Barre3 workouts with all the variety clients get in-studio. I am developing these workouts based on what I know works at home. All you will need is a waist high surface. No barre necessary! [Her DVD was voted by readers as one of the Top 10 Workout DVDs of 2011.] I am also very focused on keeping all Barre3 classes fresh, innovative and balanced. My mission is to never bore and always challenge. This keeps my clients on their toes (no pun intended!).