Amanda Beard is in fantastic swimming shape after having a baby less than two years ago.
Continuing on the amazing athletes theme, we recently spoke with a seven-time Olympic medalist: swimmer Amanda Beard! Amanda's currently training for the 2012 Olympics, and the preparation this time around is going to be different than for her four previous trips to the Games since Amanda has been a mom since late 2009.
How does she stay in peak condition as a wife, mom, author (her memoir will be released next year) and role model? We asked Amanda to fill in the blanks.
- Getting back into shape after having my son, Blaise... "took a lot of work and dedication! What they say about nine months on and nine months off was really true, even if you start in good physical condition."
- Becoming a mom has been... "the best thing that has ever happened to me."
- If I could exercise with any celebrity or fellow athlete, I'd choose... "Madonna. She looks ripped and I'd like to see how hard she works! I always work harder when I'm with someone else, and I tend to have more fun doing it."
- I keep my life in balance by... "trying to be fully present and invested in what is happening in that moment—whether I'm at home or training. Being focused really helps me in all my roles."
- My current training program... "has me lifting weights from 8-9 a.m. and in the pool from 2-4:30 p.m. six days each week."
- When I'm tired while exercising... "I focus on my workout goal, and mentally shift from 'I'm to tired' to 'I'll feel great after a good workout.'"
- The key to staying motivated day after day is to... "start your day off excited about the tasks that lay before you, instead of seeing them as a drag."
Now tell us: How do you keep yourself motivated to make healthy decisions long-term?