Going home after the gym to get ready for a night out isn’t always an option, but looking good after your sweat session doesn’t require a complete makeover! For those quick changes, I keep these essentials stashed in my gym bag.
Smashbox Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer blurs any imperfections and redness while lending a touch of glow. It’s lightweight, so I don’t look too “made up” after a workout.
NARS The Multiple in Orgasm smudged on eyes, cheeks and lips gives a flattering, flushed look. Monochromatic makeup (using the same shade on each feature) is a no-brainer: It looks chic, fresh and pulled-together in seconds.
I finish off my look with a few coats of L’Oréal Paris Voluminous Naturale Mascara to make my gaze look wide-eyed and natural. These three little items take me from postworkout to a night out fast!
Tell us: What are your gym bag makeup essentials?
—By Leah Cayson, beauty intern
The outdoors may be full of cool autumn hues, but inside stores there’s an aurora of pink in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Amidst this sea of good intentions, it can be difficult to discern which wares are actually helping the cause. Here, a list of five products worth checking out if you want to support breast cancer research: A sizable portion, if not all, of the purchase price of each is being donated to finding a cure.
- Sonia Kashuk Proudly Pink Brush Set This set is going to be available all year, and 15 percent of proceeds go to Breast Cancer Research.
- Boots No7 Intensive Moisture Face Mask From every mask sold, $2 will be donated to Susan G. Komen for the Cure and they’re promising a contribution of at least $25,000.
- Smashbox O-Gloss All proceeds from the purchase of this lip gloss go directly to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
- Avon Breast Cancer Crusade Foot Works Foot Cream For every foot cream bought, Avon will donate 50% of the price to their foundation, Breast Cancer Crusade.
- Revlon Colorburst Lipstick in Fashion’s Night Pout Revlon is donating all proceeds to Look Good, Feel Better, a program dedicated to helping women battling cancer.
—By Jaclyn Smock, beauty intern
Famed makeup artist Charlotte Tilbury once called eyebrows “the pillars of the face.” And the Fashion Week gods agree: We’ve been seeing full, thick arches all over the fall runways. Here, a few tips for getting your best brows:
- Always get a professional brow shaping and be specific with the technician about what shape you want (bring a photo of your favorite brow look if that helps), then use a tweezer like Tweezerman Slant Tweezer to grab strays in between visits. Money-saving bonus: Tweezerman offers free sharpening for life when you purchase their tweezers.
- Then, use a powder or soft pencil (such as Anastasia Go Brow Universal Brow Pencil or Benefit Brow Zings Kit) in light, feathery motions to fill in any sparse spots for a full, perfectly-shaped look.
- Slick a bit of brow gel over hairs keep them in line—both tinted and clear versions do the trick.
- Finish with a dab of highlighter, like Smashbox Eye Beam Double-Ended Brightener, under browbones to conceal any strays and give arches a flattering lift.
—By Maite Gonzalez, beauty intern
I don’t know about you, but all of this snow has me daydreaming about my spring vacation—which is now only a month away! Beach fantasizing has quickly evolved into planning out my beauty essentials for the perfect beachy look: Think small, packable items that pack a big beauty punch. Read on for the products I’m lusting after for the big trip, and steal some ideas for your vacation—or staycation!
Avoid a hairy situation. After a day at the beach, my nicely straightened hair usually expands in size—hello, frizz!—until I’m virtually unrecognizable to my friends. If you’re like me and the sun/sand/salt water mixture leaves your hair in a knot, a hair moisturizer is the only option. I’ll be packing Shu Uemura Essence Absolue Nourishing Protective Oil to keep my hair hydrated (and fuzz at bay), repair damage and shield my strands from UV rays.
Get your bronze on. Fake a believable getaway glow with this shimmery little gem: Smashbox Artificial Light Luminizing Lotion lends sun-kissed radiance while keeping my face moisturized. It’s not full-on bronze, so it works on winter-pale skin.
Get eye-catching color. For a pop of color on top of my newly glowing skin, I’ll be packing Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm. This magic crayon gives an effortless, fun vacation look while also keeping lips soft with mango and shea butters.
Avoid runoff. This trip, I won’t let annoying raccoon eyes put a damper on my ocean dips. I’ll be sticking with super-volumizing Yves Saint Laurent Everlong Waterproof Mascara to prevent the runoff. Bon voyage!
—By Lindsay Richardson, Beauty Intern
Categories: Beauty On the Go, Tried-It Tuesday | Tags: bronze, Clinique, eyes, Face, glow, hair, lips, mascara, shimmer, Shu Uemura, Smashbox, spring makeup, vacation beauty, vacation makeup, Yves Saint Laurent