Here’s a peek at just a fraction of the 3,600 new products our beauty team called in for testing for the 2012 FITNESS Beauty Awards, the 60 winners of which will be published in the October issue. Our panel of twelve experts in the fields of dermatology, hair styling and coloring, and makeup artistry are currently testing the products, judging them on factors like effectiveness, ease of use, packaging, and cosmetic elegance. Next, we’ll distribute the products to hundreds of readers for the final round of testing before they’re narrowed down to the top choice in each category. Keep your eye out for the winners in our October issue on newsstands this fall!
Earlier this month, we reported that a woman spends more than $150,000 on beauty over the course of her life. We asked FITNESS editors what beauty product or treatment they spend the most cash on.
- “On a college student’s budget, manicures/pedicures can be seen as a splurge, but nothing beats a nice foot massage after a tough exam or deadline crunch! Looking down at a coat of fresh polish simply puts a spring in my step, which makes it worth every penny.” —Lauren Cardarelli, editorial intern
- “Definitely a facial! My skin never looks better for days upon days after getting one. And it’s the most noticeable part of your body, so why not give it the extra TLC. It’s like going in for a dentist checkup for me: Your face needs the same checkup as well.” —Jenna Autuori, fitness editor
- “My beauty splurge is Benefit lipsticks. I hate the feeling of sticky lipgloss, and regular lipstick can be too dry. But Benefit’s lipsticks give glossy moisture and color all at once! Totally worth the cost.” —Alyson Kaufman, sittings intern
- “My biggest beauty splurge is my haircut. There are definitely cheaper options available, but I’m willing to spend more because I have complete trust in my stylist who knows exactly what I want: A cut that makes my thick hair manageable and looks great air-dried. I’ve had way too many disappointing haircuts with other stylists to ever dare going somewhere else!” —Marianne Magno, assistant web editor
Tell us: What pricey beauty product or treatment do you indulge in?
At a meeting last week, a few FITNESS editors got into a conversation about how they organize their beauty stash at home. Here’s a peek at how I store the plethora of beauty products in my bathroom (please excuse my sub-par cell phone photography skills!). When apartment-hunting last year, one of the reasons I loved the place we ended up renting was because of this cabinet of shelves in the bathroom—I knew it would make the perfect home for my beauty arsenal! As you can see, I use a mix of bowls and baskets that I’ve collected to house specific categories of products. Here’s the layout, starting at the bottom, moving from left to right: Nail polishes, makeup; second shelf: daily face products, fragrance, and face treatments; third shelf: hair products, miscellaneous; fourth shelf: bath and my boyfriend’s grooming stash.
Tell us: How do you store your beauty products?
How much money would you guess that you spend on beauty products and treatments? A new study commissioned by Bionsen deodorant found that the average woman shells out $164,248 (roughly $3,273 per adult year) on beauty over the course of her life—enough to buy a home (in some places) or pay for an Ivy League education!
Tell us: Do you think you spend that much money on beauty? And if so, is it worth it to you?
Gold medal-winning Olympic swimmer, TV host, and mom of two Summer Sanders is busy supporting Coppertone’s World’s Largest Swimming Lesson, but recently took the time to chat with FITNESS. Here’s what she had to say about swimming, sunscreen, and beauty must-haves:
-FITNESS: What made you want to get involved with Merck/Coppertone’s World’s Largest Swimming Lesson?
Summer Sanders: “As a mom of two little kids, swim and sun safety are a priority and the opportunity to share that info was the main reason. I’ve worn Coppertone Sport forever and it’s what I put on my kids everyday.”
-FITNESS: What do you love most about swimming?
SS: “Being outside and getting a chance to see my kids push their boundaries, have fun with friends, and enjoy the water. It makes me feel like a kid myself!”
-FITNESS: What are your top tips for fellow swimmers?
SS: “For a swim workout, choose the non-peak sun hours in the morning or evening. If you are playing in the pool, remember to always put on sunscreen and don’t forget your sensitive areas, feet, ears and scalp. I highly recommend checking out the Coppertone MyUVAlert app.”
-FITNESS: What’s your proudest fitness-related achievement? Why?
SS: “The New York Marathon in 2002 because I soaked up every ounce of energy from my fellow competitors and the thousands of people who came out to cheer us on.”
-FITNESS: What’s your best beauty advice for fellow swimmers?
SS: “Sunscreen! And moisturizer post-swim.”
-FITNESS: What beauty products can’t you live without?
SS: “Coppertone Sport sunscreen. I put it on under my makeup every day. My Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler, Maybelline Great Lash Mascara and Kiehl’s lip balm.”
Here’s a sneak peek at the contenders for our 2011 Beauty Awards: We start with thousands of nominees and narrow them down to just 60 winners with the help of a panel of experts and reader testers. Check out who makes the cut this fall in our October issue, on stands in September!
We recently chatted with country singer Faith Hill about her newest fragrance, Faith Hill True, her favorite beauty products and tricks for on-the-go, and her stay-in-shape secrets. The scoop:
FITNESS: How does your new fragrance, True, differ from your first fragrance?
FAITH HILL: “My first fragrance had several notes in it that reminded me of growing up in Mississippi, such as magnolia. I wanted to keep this one fresh and clean and current…I really liked the yuzu, lily and gardenia notes.”
FITNESS: What kind of woman is True made for?
FAITH HILL: “It’s made for every woman. Whether you work in your home, outside of your home, in sweats or a suit, everyone can wear it. I wanted the fragrance to appeal to all women.”
FITNESS: How and when do you wear fragrance? What’s the best way to wear it?
FAITH HILL: “I wear fragrances every day. It’s like a part of my outfit. I wear it with sweats, casual or dressed to go out. It completes my outfit.”
FITNESS: How do you take care of your skin and hair on-the-go?
FAITH HILL: “I try to keep my skin clean and moisturized. On my hair, I use a leave-in conditioner most of the time when I’m not working. I also drink lots of water.”
FITNESS: How do you keep yourself in shape with your busy lifestyle and while you’re on the road?
FAITH HILL: “I have to schedule workout time or I simply will find an excuse to not workout. I’m doing the Tracy Anderson method right now and I love it. I don’t get bored as easily because of all the movement involved in her program.”
FITNESS: What are your favorite beauty products for after your workout and for carrying with you when you’re on-the-go?
FAITH HILL: “I always clean my face after my workout. I use Obagi cleanser and sunscreen. When I travel, I do the same treatment, just with more moisturizer and I drink loads of water.”
FITNESS: What workouts do you do regularly?
FAITH HILL: “I used to run, however, now I enjoy a brisk walk for 2-3 miles, in addition to the Tracy Anderson method.”
Faith shares her workout playlist in the Fit Life section of our January issue, out next week!
Although I’ve only been an intern at FITNESS for two months, my bedroom has become a hoarder’s paradise. I have dedicated my weekends to bringing home and testing out the newest (and most promising) beauty products, eager to find which are worth the extra primping time. I’ve narrowed down my top five favorites, all of which live up their labels!
- Crest 3D Whitestrips: I know I’ve said before that I’m not a big fan of at-home whitening systems, but I can definitely make an exception for these. As promised, my teeth were noticeably whiter after just three days, and I experienced no pain or sensitivity.
- RapidLash: I’ve been using this product for a little over two weeks now, and already see an improvement in the length and thickness of my lashes! Since you only have to apply the serum once nightly, it’s the perfect easy and effective addition to your nightly beauty routine.
- Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque: My hair has never looked and felt as great as it did after using this weekly treatment. It smooths out dry ends and adds shine without weighing the hair down, leaving you with healthy, to-die-for hair.
- Laura Geller Eye Spackle: This lightweight eyeshadow primer glides onto your lids, and keeps shadow intact for the entire day. Zero reapplication required!
- Zeno Hot Spot: Although small, this mini blemish clearing device packs a lot of power! Use at the first sign of a pimple, and see results within an hour. This is one beauty tool I’ll keep around forever.
What are your favorite new beauty finds?
-Nina Ramadan, beauty intern
Categories: Beauty On the Go, Tried-It Tuesday | Tags: Beauty, Crest, eyeshadow, favorite, hair, lashes, laura geller, Macadamia Natural Oil, primer, products, Rapidlash, treatment, whitening, Zeno
What’s at the top of the beauty crop? Watch Associate Beauty Editor April Franzino chat about some of our favorite finds from FITNESS’s 2010 Beauty Awards on Better.TV.
See a list of all the winners and runners-up in each category here. Happy shopping!