Written on February 21, 2012 at 10:00 am , by Fitness Magazine
- BLUSH = EYE SHADOW Use an eye shadow brush to sweep blush over your eyelids for a pretty, monochromatic look.
- CONCEALER = EYE & LIP PRIMER Neutralize the ruddy pink tones of eyelids and lips with a light layer of your regular concealer: The colors you apply on top with appear truer and last longer.
- EYE SHADOW = HIGHLIGHTER Blend a light-colored neutral cream eye shadow (think champagne or gold), such as CoverGirl Intense ShadowBlast in Beige Blaze, on the tops of cheekbones, cupid’s bow, inner corners of the eyes and under the brows for a believable glow.
- LIP BALM OR LIPSTICK = CHEEK & EYE ENHANCER In a pinch, dab tinted lip balm or lipstick on cheeks and eyes—they can double as a cream blush and eye shadow. Use a clear balm to add a touch of healthy sheen.
Source: Pat McGrath, creative design director for Procter & Gamble Beauty
And my own creation: Layer lip balm, a rose, pinky-nude or mauve-hued eye shadow, and top with clear lip gloss for a custom-created lip color.
—By Wanda Rosa, beauty intern
Categories: Beauty On the Go, Makeup Musts, Save-A-Minute Secrets | Tags: blush, brush, concealer, CoverGirl, double duty, eye and lip primer, eye shadow, eyeshadow, highlighter, lip balm, Lipstick, makeup, money-saving, Pat McGrath, space-saving, unconventional
Written on November 18, 2011 at 3:45 pm , by April Franzino
There aren’t many products that earn permanent real estate in our makeup bag, but NARS Soft Touch Shadow Pencil in Goddess is one of the lucky few. We use the chubby champagne pink eye shadow stick every morning to brighten the inner corners of our eyes— detracting from dark circles and making us look refreshed— and blended under our brows to instantly lift and conceal any strays. It can also be applied all over the lids or close to the lashline for an illuminated look in seconds. And it really lasts: We’ve been sharpening the pencil for years and still have half of it left!
Tell us: What’s your secret for looking instantly awake?
Written on October 17, 2011 at 4:22 pm , by April Franzino
Makeup shaped into pretty pebbles and pearls has been popping up everywhere recently—and it’s easy to see why. Not only do these faintly shimmery bronzer, blush, and highlighting powders give cheeks a gorgeous glow when applied with a brush swirled over the multi-tonal pigments, but they can also multitask. We’ve experimented with using individual beads as eye shadow, lip color (topped with gloss or balm), and luminizer on the inner corners of eyes, under the brows, and on the cupid’s bow. They’re just plain fun to use, like makeup should be! Here, a selection of showstopping spheres:
Tell us: Have you played with pebble-shaped makeup? If so, how did you use them and what did you think?
Categories: Beauty On the Go, Makeup Musts | Tags: blush, bronzer, brows, cheeks, eye shadow, eyes, Face, Guerlain, highlighter, lip color, lips, luminizer, makeup, pearls, pebbles, Physicians formula, powder, Pur Minerals, rocks, The Body Shop
Written on February 28, 2011 at 11:05 am , by April Franzino
In the next installment behind-the-scenes of our March “Spring Awakening” feature photo shoot, Mary Kay celebrity makeup artist Ashunta Sheriff shares tips on how to get radiant, glowing skin. Her speedy secrets:
Written on January 14, 2011 at 11:05 am , by April Franzino
Chilly temps and gray mid-January days can sap the glow right out of your skin. Our complexion-reviving secret weapon: Philosophy The Color of Grace Shimmering Face Powder We dust the softly gleamy pink powder over our cheekbones to catch the light and on the rest of our face for a soft-focus, touched-by-candlelight finish. How do you keep your skin glowing through winter’s dreary days?
Written on November 9, 2010 at 10:31 am , by April Franzino
Could all the beauty products you need be packed into three little sticks? If you ask model and former makeup artist Cindy Joseph, the answer is yes. Her line, Boom! by Cindy Joseph, consists of just three pocket-sized twist-up sticks, perfect for tossing in your gym bag and dabbing on-the-go:
- Boomstick Glo (below, right): A hydrating olive oil and beeswax balm formulated by Cindy’s beekeeper friend in Hawaii that can be used on cuticles, lips or face. This one has earned a spot in my (very-crowded) purse!
- Boomstick Color (below, middle): A berry hue for lips, cheeks and eyes that flatters all skin tones—it’s based on a shade she mixed at photo shoots and used on the full spectrum of celebs and models, from Uma Thurman to Naomi Campbell.
- Boomstick Glimmer (below, left): A subtle shimmer highlighter that can be used to accentuate cheekbones, brighten up the inner corners of eyes or layer on lips for a more dressed-up look.
Talk about a streamlined routine! What beauty essentials do you tote every day?