Searching for a new signature scent? Check out my latest Better TV Segment on finding a perfume that’s perfect for you. Happy shopping! -Eleanor
In our November/December issue (on stands now!), I wrote a feature about how your workout of choice can lead you to a perfect-for-you perfume pick. Researchers say that the part of the brain that’s linked to your sense of smell has a direct connection to your personality and exercise preference.
In the issue, we have fragrance finds for active readers who love to hike, run, spin and practice yoga, but we had to drop one exercise category from the layout: dancing. Read on to sniff out a new signature scent for the season!
Your Workout: Dancing
Your Fit Fragrance: Gourmand
If you love ballet, jazz, hip-hop, or even Zumba classes, chances are you enjoy being in tune with your body. And scrumptious food-inspired fragrances take the cake in terms of increasing your self-esteem. “Because they’re often associated with positive, nostalgic feelings, research suggests that these sweet scents can raise your endorphin levels, making you feel better about yourself,” explains Alan Hirsch, M.D., of the Smell & Taste Treatment and Research Foundation in Chicago. Try these yummy, but still subtle, scents:
- Victoria’s Secret Dream Angels Heavenly Stardust ($49, Victoria’s Secret stores) has comforting traces of caramel and praline.
- The star note in Pure DKNY ($80, dkny.com) is vanilla, which smells fresh, thanks to hints of creamy sandalwood.
- Mary Kay Thinking of You ($30, marykay.com) sweetens skin with delish dashes of tonka bean, vanilla, and sugar.
If you’re like me, you’re probably prone to skimp on shut-eye as the holiday craziness starts to go into full effect. But, experts say it’s absolutely essential to prioritize your zzz’s. (I know, I know: It’s tough!). Here’s a recent TV segment that I did with Better TV that will give you some ways you can actually multitask as you sleep to max out your slumber hours. Also, here’s another segment that I did the same day that will explain exactly why snoozing for 7-9 hours is so crucial to your overall wellness. Night, night!
You probably have frayed ends year-round; it’s impossible to avoid them. But as the months get chillier, they’re more obvious because they look fuzzy when your hair is dry. “A trim will tame flyaway pieces,” says Dickey, founder of Hair Rules Salon in New York City. Ask your stylist to snip off a quarter inch, which will eliminate broken ends without significantly shortening your style. Can’t squeeze in a salon visit? Apply a few drops of a silicone- or oil-based styling product to ends. It won’t repair them, but it can smooth them temporarily. My favorite style smoother that’s still lightweight and smells incredible: Neil George Indian Gooseberry Treatment Oil.
Michelle Phan is the most-watched makeup artist on YouTube, as well as Lancôme’s video makeup artist. I love her how-tos and easy-to-follow tutorials, so you guys should check out this clip on easy autumn makeup. I’m definitely going to try the trick where she uses a concealer brush to stabilize her eyelid when she puts on liner and mascara. So genius!
I’m obsessed with these new, credit-card-sized portable floss holders called “Flossboxes”, and I have one in my gym bag, on my desk at work, and in my purse. The coolest part? You can customize them here with your own photo. Use the FITNESS logo here for a fun gift for your most active friends. You could even order them early and store them away for the holidays to use as stocking stuffers. Happy shopping!
Check out this behind-the-scenes video from the “Your Prettiest Skin Ever” photo shoot for our October 2010 issue. The model was absolutely gorgeous and told us that she stays fit by surfing. Read the story at the link above and let us know which skin secret you were most surprised by. I had no idea that a high-protein diet can lead to puffiness or that my mani could be upping my skin cancer risk!
Want a new style to sport this season or simply need to freshen up your hair? We turned to Kimberly Rothamel Morgan at Bob Steele Salon in Atlanta for her top strand secrets:
1. If your hair is straight, have your stylist add some face-framing layers that start above your cheekbone or about an inch above your jawline if you want to be able to tuck your hair behind your ears (crucial for working out!). This will enhance your bone structure and refresh your hair for fall.
2. If your hair is curly, define your ringlets with a moisturizing curl cream, such as Redken Fresh Curls Curl Refiner . You’ll need to adjust the amount of product you need according to your length: chin-length or above = two dime-sized doses, shoulder-length = three dime-sized doses, below your shoulders = three to four dime-sized doses. The key to the smoothest application? Flip your hair over for the first dose and then back up to do the next dose for the most even coverage. Then, blow-dry your hair with a diffuser or air-dry.
3. Healthy hair equals gorgeous hair. After a summer of chlorine, sun, salt and sand, you need to give your hair some TLC. Schedule a trim and use a deep-conditioning treatment or mask once a week to bring your hair back to life.
I’m so proud of our summer beauty intern (and current blogger!) Catherine O’Neill: She’s a finalist in a monthly contest called “Stila Girl of the Month.” See her story below and vote for her here.
Why I should be the next Stila Girl of the Month:
Stila made me fearless! After 6 years of braces (and headgear!), I can now sweep on Raspberry Crush Lip Stain with confidence. Thanks for putting the power in my pout! Stila isn’t just a line of products — it’s an attitude. Thanks for helping me embrace my very best self, Stila!
My Signature Stila Look:
I ALWAYS have Stila on my lips! For a fearless look, I reach for Raspberry Crush Lip Stain. When I’m feeling more flirty, it’s all about Long Wear Liquid Lip Color in Petal. And I won’t leave the house without my Lip Glaze in Honeydew. From their One Step Foundation to their gorgeous eyeshadow palettes (Smoky Eye original for me!), Stila is my go-to for creating a look that transforms me into the fun, fearless girl I’m meant to be.
Want to be the next girl of the month? Check out this link for all the how-to.
Happy Friday! I just came across this fun site that L’Oréal Paris is sponsoring on YouTube. It’s called Destination Beauty, and it’s chock full of fabulous, gotta-try-em video tutorials for your hair, makeup and skin. Try a DIY look this weekend with these tricks from Lauren Luke about doing your makeup when you’re in a hurry. Her tips are perfect for multitaskers like you! -Eleanor Langston