We all get stuck in situations where we need makeup help—fast. Primp on the fly with these genius tips from Koh Gen Do Cosmetics celebrity makeup artist Daniel Martin:
- Mixing your concealer with face cream or lotion can double as a light foundation/tinted moisturizer.
- In a pinch, use your lipstick as a cream blush—make a few small dots on each cheek, then blend.
- Dab a balm like Aquaphor on your eyelids for a glossy, natural-looking sheen.
- No eye shadow in sight? Swipe a powder bronzer or neutral blush on eyelids for a chic, monochromatic look.
The height of summer is in full swing in New York City, and our hair’s been reacting in accordance (read: frizz, grease, and flyaways).
Thankfully, Herbal Essences Touchably Smooth Collection has come up with a foolproof style for your next getaway or day at the beach. Here’s to good hair days ahead!
- Before heading to the beach or the pool, wash and condition your hair thoroughly.
- Towel dry and put hair in a ponytail at the top of your head.
- Twist hair around the ponytail and secure in a spiraled bun.
- Spritz strands with a soft-touch hairspray.
- After your day in the sun, let the bun fall to form smooth waves, and finish with a mist of hairspray to keep locks in place.
—By Amanda Downs, beauty intern
Most of us don’t have the means to pamper ourselves every day, but we all have a beauty treat we’d never give up. (Ours? Blowouts for special occasions—no one does it like a pro!) We posed the question to fellow FITNESS staffers:
- “Manicure every Friday: I just can’t give it up! It’s my weekly treat—I get to sit, relax, and at the end I have great-looking nails.” —Argy Koutsothanasis, fashion director
- “Brow waxing! Tweezing is too painful when I’m really shaping them (rather than just a quick clean-up) and it’s time-consuming.” —Samantha Shelton, freelance editorial assistant
- “Pedicures—that way my toes always look nice and feel good. Plus, I like looking down during yoga and seeing brightly-colored toes!” —Elaine Roake, photo director
- “I’ll never give up my monthly facials. With all the workouts I try, I need to keep my skin as clean as it can be. I love the three day glow I get after a facial, too.” —Jenna Autuori, fitness editor
- “I really believe in the power of a deep-tissue massage to make me feel relaxed, calm and Zen. Even a quick 10 minute one post-pedicure works!” —Eleanor Langston, beauty director
How about you—what beauty indulgence would you never sacrifice?
Carrots aren’t just a tasty snack: They’re also amazing for your skin. Because of their high levels of beta-carotene and vitamin A, these orange veggies flush out toxins that are damaging to your complexion, and contain phytochemicals that nourish and hydrate. A recent study from the University of Bristol in England also found that eating golden-pigmented vegetables and fruits like carrots gives your skin a more desirable glow than spending time in the sun. Researchers evaluated the skin color of people in relation to what they eat, and found that those whose diets included more veggies and fruits had a more golden skin color. Those with this golden glow had higher levels of carotenoids, yellow and red antioxidants produced in plants like carrots, in their skin. The researchers then had participants rate the attractiveness of faces enhanced by carotenoids versus sun-tanned faces, and others preferred the glow produced by fruits and veggies to the sun-induced tan. Even more incentive to snack!
—By Kelly Garner, beauty intern
We’ve always loved bar soaps in theory, but they tend to leave our skin a little too squeaky, and, well—dry. But not the Out of Africa Organic Shea Butter Soap in Vanilla that recently came across our desk. When we sudsed up, it had the creamiest feel and left our skin silky, thanks to a 20% pure shea butter base, and only four other ingredients: olive and palm kernel oils, vanilla essential oil, and water. The faintly sweet, warm vanilla scent has us addicted, too. As simple—and skin-loving—as soap gets. Do you wash with bar soap? If so, what’s your go-to?
It’s 90+ degrees here in New York City, but we recently got to treat our pavement-weary feet to the cool new Ice Cream Pedicure at Eve Salon in the West Village. Here’s a DIY at-home version of the sweet (calorie-free!) service:
- Draw a warm basin of water with enough room for your feet.
- Place a ME! Bath Strawberry Bath Bomb “scoop” (or sweet-smelling bath bomb of your choice) in the warm water and allow to dissolve. You also could add a mixture of sea salts and a healthy dose of a strawberry scented body wash, like Softsoap Strawberry Smoother Body Buff Wash.
- Stir with your hand and dissolve, then place feet in the warm basin and soak for approximately 10 minutes.
- After soaking, exfoliate by vigorously rubbing a sweetly-scented sugar scrub (we love Kiehl’s Creme de Corps Soy Milk and Honey Body Polish) onto the feet and calves, then rinse.
- Next, use a pumice stone to get rid of stubborn calluses on the bottoms of your feet and heels.
- Stop, relax, and enjoy a scoop or two of your favorite flavored ice cream before proceeding!
- Dry off and apply a few pumps of light lotion (try a vanilla scent) to keep feet and calves silky-smooth and hydrated.
- Cut and file nails as desired, then top off with a summer polish (try experimenting with five shades of your favorite color—one on each toe—in order from darkest to lightest for an of-the-moment ombré effect.) Finish with a clear topcoat.
We took a Spin class last week with fellow FITNESS editors, which made us wonder what beauty goods they tote along with them. Here’s the one product that never leaves these FITNESS ladies’ gym bags:
- “Lip balm! My lips tend to get dry during my workout, so lip balm keeps them kissable. I love Burt’s Bees Replenishing Lip Balm with Pomegranate Oil- it smells delicious!” —Theresa K. Brady, editorial intern
- “La Fresh Instant Body Soother Wipes—they’re the perfect way to cool off and freshen up right after a workout. I wipe one over my neck, face, and shoulders for a quick pick-me-up, and keep a stash in my purse for sticky summer days.”—Colleen Moody, web editor
- “Neutrogena Deep Clean Sport On-the-Go Cleansing Wipes take up no space in my gym bag, thanks to individual packets. I use one wipe before and one after my workouts.”—Amanda Downs, beauty intern
- “Face moisturizer—gyms usually have body lotion, but not the good stuff for your face! It also helps with clearing off any leftover eyeliner if the shower didn’t do the trick.”—Mary Anderson, deputy editor
- “I can’t head to the gym without my Dove Clinical Protection Visibly Smooth Antiperspirant/Deodorant Solid in Wild Rose. It keeps me smelling fresh without the clumpy residue.”—Lauren Cardarelli, editorial intern
- “My face lotion! After a sweaty SoulCycle session, I always need to jump in the shower and rinse off. I don’t go anywhere without my La Roche-Posay face lotion with SPF. It’s smooth, light, and comes in a nice travel size. “—Jenna Autuori, fitness editor
What beauty product never leaves your gym bag?
A recent study by Orbit Complete found that 69% of people find women more attractive when they smile than when they are wearing makeup, and women generally smile more than men.
We were born to smile…literally: Babies start smiling in their sleep as newborns!
Young or old, no one wants a parched-looking pucker. Keep your lips moisturized this season with the lip products that make me smile:
What’s the lip product you can’t live without?
—By Amanda Downs, beauty intern