What do hair and football have to do with each other? A lot if you're Pittsburgh Steelers strong safety Troy Polamalu. We had the chance to chat with the star player (truly one of the most kind, gracious people we've ever encountered) and Head & Shoulders spokesman about his game—and yes, his trademark mane:
- Why do you keep your hair so long? "I grew it out in college, and went through a shaggy stage when I didn’t care what I looked like. Over time, it became a part of who I am."
- What do you like about having long hair? "I wouldn’t say I really love it—but when it becomes part of your identity, you think of it as another appendage."
- What do you dislike about your long locks? "Maintenance is a tough thing. Usually for men, you have short hair, get in the shower, throw on some shampoo and that’s it. But my hair definitely requires more care and takes a long time to dry!"
- How do you care for your hair and keep it healthy? "I shampoo and condition a lot, and I comb the shampoo through my hair in the shower. I keep it up a lot so it's out of the way."
- What hair products do you use? "I actually use Head & Shoulders Smooth & Silky Conditioner as a shampoo- I shampoo once a week during off season, but more during the season because I’m practicing all day."
- What hair length do you like on women? "My wife has hair down to the middle of her back. Many Polynesian women have really long hair, including my sisters. I prefer my wife’s hair, however she decides to wear it!"
- Does having long hair help or hinder you during a game? "It doesn’t really matter—sometimes it will get stuck in my helmet or my mouth, which is annoying. But overall it’s not a big problem."
- When was the last time you cut it? "The last time I cut it was nine years ago. I don’t think I’ll ever cut it again—I don’t plan on it. Our sons' hair has never been cut, so it’s becoming our family trademark."