We've been training hard here at FITNESS—for both the FITNESS/MORE Half-Marathon and to keep up with our New Year's resolutions—and one thing that's taken a beating along the way is our rundown feet! The sight of our roughed-up tootsies could send anyone into a lifelong state of foot-phobia. With sandal season creeping up, we're using this DIY treatment from Dawn Gallagher, former model and author of Nature's Beauty Secrets, to get our overworked soles ready for their day in the sun:
- Fill a foot basin with warm water, add a few drops of almond oil and soak for 10 to 15 minutes.
- While you're soaking your feet, use a pumice to buff away calluses and rough skin.
- Towel-dry your feet, then focus on your toenails. Cut and file them to your desired length, always cutting straight across to avoid ingrown toenails.
- Use the almond oil to soften cuticles and an orange stick slowly push them back.
- If you're in the mood for a burst of color, paint your toes your desired shade and finish with a topcoat.
- If you painted your toes, wait until they're completely dry, then slather your feet in the most buttery cream you can find. Pull on a pair of cotton socks to lock in the moisture.
—By Lindsay Richardson, Beauty Intern