You are here
Get Slim Without the Gym: Upper-Body Toners
Arm, shoulder, and back exercises by celebrity trainer Kathy Kaehler, fitness expert on ExerciseTV.tv.
Band Biceps Curl
- Stand with right foot in middle of band, holding one end of band and a dumbbell in each hand (wrap ends of band around dumbbells and place palms over).
- Keeping elbows by sides, turn palms forward and curl both hands up to shoulders. Do 10 reps.
- Next, curl one hand up at a time, alternating sides. Do 10 curls on each side. Repeat combo.
Targets: Chest and abs
- Lie faceup on ball with your upper back on its center, knees bent and feet flat on floor, holding one end of band and a dumbbell in each hand.
- Extend arms straight toward ceiling, directly over shoulders.
- Keeping elbows slightly bent, open arms out to sides, then bring them back to center. Do 15 reps.
Targets: Shoulders, triceps, abs
- Lie facedown on ball with your belly on its center, holding a dumbbell in each hand, legs extended, toes resting on floor. Start with arms by sides and parallel to torso with elbows slightly bent, palms facing up.
- Lower arms straight down until hands touch floor in line with hips.
- Keeping head in line with neck, press arms straight up to back; lower. Do 8 reps. Rest, then repeat.
Targets: Upper back, shoulders, triceps, chest, and abs
- Start in full push-up position (balancing on hands and toes) with a disc under each hand.
- Keeping body still, slide left hand forward a few inches; slide back. Then slide right hand forward a few inches and slide back to complete 1 rep.
- Keeping abs engaged, do 5 reps.
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, July/August 2009.