You are here
Jillian Michaels' Bodyshred Circuit Workout
Burn megacalories, blast fat, and sculpt all over in less than 30 minutes with Jillian's new kick-butt workout. Based on Jillian Michaels Bodyshred, a high-energy circuit class offered at Crunch gyms nationwide, this results-driven combo of strength, cardio, and core circuits will leave you tight, toned, and totally ready to show off your hard work. What are you waiting for?
How This Workout Works
What You'll Need: 3- to 8-pound dumbbells, a mat (optional)
How It Works
Do Jillian's 3-2-1 interval method four days a week. Warm up for five minutes by jumping rope or running in place. Next, move on to the three circuits: Do three minutes of strength (30 seconds per move; repeat entire circuit once); then do two minutes of cardio (30 seconds per move; repeat entire circuit once); and finish with one minute of core (30 seconds per move). Do three sets total.
Circuit 1: Strength: Dumbbell Row in Crescent
Targets back, butt, and legs
- Stand with feet hip-width apart holding a dumbbell in each hand, arms by sides, palms facing in.
- Step back with left leg, bending right knee 90 degrees and keeping left leg straight and heel lifted, body hinging forward slightly from hips, arms extended by sides.
- Maintaining lunge position, drive elbows behind you to bring dumbbells by ribs, palms in, squeezing shoulder blades together.
- Lower dumbbells toward floor, straightening arms. Switch legs for second set.
Alternating Side Lunge with Reverse Flye
Targets shoulders, back, butt, and legs
- Stand with feet together holding a dumbbell in each hand, arms in front of thighs, palms facing each other.
- Step right leg out to right side, bending left knee.
- Keep right leg straight as you simultaneously hinge forward from hips until back is parallel to floor; extend arms directly below chest.
- Keeping head in line with spine, extend arms out to sides at shoulder height.
- Slowly lower arms toward floor. Push off right leg to return to start position. Switch sides.
Targets shoulders, chest, triceps, back, abs, and thighs
- Start in full plank position with hands directly under shoulders and body forming a straight line.
- Lift hips so body forms an inverted V and feet are flat on floor, then slowly bend elbows, lowering chest toward floor while bringing head forward.
- In one fluid movement, push into palms as you thrust chest forward; then lift chest upward as you lower hips to the floor, straightening arms (you should be looking up and balancing on balls of your feet).
- Reverse motion back to start position to complete 1 rep.
MAKE IT EASIER: Bend knees slightly.
Circuit 2: Cardio: Jump Jack Squat and Touch the Ground
Targets abs, butt, and legs
- Stand with feet together, arms above head.
- Jump up, landing in a deep squat with feet about hip-distance apart. Tap floor in front of feet with right hand, keeping left arm above head.
- Jump up, bringing feet together and both arms above head.
- Repeat, touching floor with opposite hand to complete 1 rep.
Single-Leg Mountain Climbers
Targets shoulders, chest, upper back, triceps, abs, and legs
- Start in full plank position, balancing on palms and toes, body forming a straight line.
- Pull left knee in toward chest, keeping right leg extended.
- Keeping palms planted firmly on ground and left knee tucked into chest, jump right leg forward.
- Jump right leg back to full plank position. Continue hopping forward and back with right leg for 30 seconds. Switch legs for second set.
Circuit 3: Core: Windshield Wiper
Targets abs, obliques, and legs
- Lie faceup on the floor, feet together, legs extended; bring arms out to shoulder level with palms resting on floor.
- Keeping feet together and legs straight, extend legs toward ceiling.
- Maintaining position, lower legs to the right, bringing them as close to floor as you can while keeping your upper back and shoulders planted.
- Raise legs back to start position, then lower legs to the left to complete 1 rep.
MAKE IT EASIER: Bend knees.
Hollow Man Chest Flye Combo
Targets shoulders, chest, triceps, back, abs, and legs
- Lie faceup on floor, legs extended with feet together, holding a dumbbell in each hand, arms by sides.
- Lift your head and shoulders off floor and raise both legs 45 degrees; bring arms together over chest.
- Maintaining position, lower arms out to sides until hands almost touch the floor, palms facing up; keep elbows slightly bent.
- Bring arms back together over chest, keeping legs raised; repeat.
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, April 2013.
Video: 30-Minute Jillian Michaels Workout
Follow along with Nike Master Trainer Traci Copeland as she runs through Jillian Michaels' 30-minute body shred workout.