You are here
Spot Training: 5 Moves for Your Arms, Back, Legs, Butt, Shoulders
What You'll Need
A mat and a resistance band. Do 3 sets of each move (about 15 minutes).
Targets: Triceps, chest, abs
- Start in modified push-up position (back straight, abs engaged, knees, and lower legs on mat).
- Place resistance band across back and hold an end tightly under each hand.
- Put hands about 5 inches apart on mat and lower chest toward floor, keeping elbows by sides.
- Push back up into band; hold for 4 seconds. Do 10 reps.
Lat Raise Combo
Targets: Shoulders, back
a. Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and staggered (right forward, left back). Place band under left foot and hold in left hand. Hinge forward from hips 45 degrees, keeping back straight and right palm on right thigh. Raise band to shoulder height in front of you, palm facing floor, and hold for 2 counts.
Lat Raise Combo, Part 2
b. Bend elbow out to side and hold. Lower. Do 12 reps; switch sides and repeat.
Targets: Glutes, hamstrings
- Stand on top of band with feet shoulder-width apart, knees slightly bent, holding an end in each hand.
- Step out to right, pushing foot against band.
- Squat, keeping knees behind toes. Hold for 2 counts, then step back to starting position.
- Do 16 reps; switch sides and repeat.
Targets: Abs, glutes, outer thighs
- Sit on floor with legs in a V position.
- Wrap band over quads and under hamstrings (forming an X), and hold an end in each hand.
- Engage abs, keeping back straight and chest lifted, and raise legs about 1 foot off floor.
- Pull on band as you push legs out to sides, then back in.
- Do 15 reps without lowering legs.
Targets: Abs, glutes, hamstrings
- Lie face-up, knees bent, heels shoulder-width apart on floor, feet flexed.
- Squeeze glutes and lift hips into bridge.
- Drape band over hips and pull hands to floor so band is tight to body.
- Keeping arms still, lower and lift hips 15 times.
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, September 2007.