An Instant Kick
"Swift motions and jumps give your metabolism an instant kick while building muscle in the long term," says Jon Giswold, a master trainer at PUSH, an online personal-training service. Add this power-packed routine, developed by Giswold, to your regular workout three times a week — you'll burn more than 100 calories in each 10-minute session.
Targets: Core, Quads, Glutes
- Lift right leg off floor, bending knee 90 degrees, and place hands on hips.
- Bend left knee, lowering into a squat.
- Hold for 1 count, straighten leg, then repeat.
- Do 1 minute per leg.
Crunch Ball Toss
Targets: Abs, Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
- Lie on back holding a medicine ball with both hands at chest level, knees bent.
- Crunch up and toss the ball a few inches above you; freeze in that position until the ball falls back into your hands.
- Slowly return to start and repeat.
Single-Arm Diagonal Clean and Press
Targets: Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps
- Holding a 5-pound dumbbell in right hand, bend knees 90 degrees and lower weight toward left foot.
- With an explosive lift, stand and swing the weight up to your right shoulder.
- Extend arm overhead; return weight to shoulder.
- Repeat 10 times on each side.
Targets: Quads, Calves, Glutes
- Stand with knees bent 90 degrees.
- With arms by sides, bend elbows, bringing fists just below chest.
- Keeping abs and glutes tight, jump as high as you can.
- Land with knees slightly bent.
- Return to start.
- Do 12 times; rest for 30 seconds and repeat.
Targets: Obliques, Core
- Lie on back with knees bent, feet on floor.
- Place hands lightly behind head.
- Raise upper body and extend legs about 12 inches off floor.
- Bring left elbow and right knee toward each other.
- Continue, alternating sides.