A research-proven type of high-intensity interval training, Tabata "builds endurance and strength in little time, thanks to repeated sessions of all-out effort broken up by short periods of rest," explains personal trainer David Levy, the founder of Fulcrum Fitness, a boot camp in Portland, Oregon. Here's how to incorporate the method into your workout.
1. Choose an exercise
- Box jumps
- Mountain climbers
- Squat into overhead presses
- Jumping lunges
2. Plug it into this formula
- [20 seconds all out + 10 seconds rest] × 8
3. Pick another exercise; repeat if you dare
- Or pat yourself on the back for a butt-kicking 4-minute workout.