You are here
10 No-Equipment Back Exercises You Need to Try
A less-than-scultped back can be your bra's biggest insecurity and the only thing keeping you from buying that super-cute crop top. That's about to change: We rounded up 10 no-equipment back exercises you can do at home to sculpt those tough-to-target muscles—plus a little extra—to get you toned and firm all over.
We know, we know. Burpees are the move you love to hate, but don't give 'em a rest yet. This advanced version kicks the heat up a notch with a sit-up, forcing you to engage your total body for a one-and-done fat blast.
Targets back, shoulders, chest, abs, butt, and legs
- Lie down on your back, keeping your legs straight with your arms bent behind your head.
- Do a sit-up, but instead of lowering back down to the ground, jump to a standing position.
- Next comes the burpee. Jump down into a pushup position, complete one push-up, jump up to a squat, and jump straight up toward the ceiling.
- Do one to three sets of 10 reps.
They're not just for dogs, people. And because you're slightly squatting, this version engages your core and hard-to-reach back muscles, instead of just your butt.
Targets back, abs, butt, outer thighs, and quads
- Stand with your feet together and slightly bend your knees.
- Lean forward and place your hands above your knees, pulling your abs inward.
- Lift and bend one of your legs, bringing it behind you and then toward you in large circular motions.
- Do 15 reps on each leg.
Inchworm to Grasshopper
With a little cardio and a lot of toning, these babies firm your entire upper bod from front to back.
Targets back, shoulders, chest, arms, and abs
- Stand straight, bend toward your toes, and walk your hands out into a push-up position.
- Keeping your arms and shoulders stable, jump and bring each shin to the opposite arm.
- Do two sets of 10 reps.
Tap It Out
Yoga isn't just for slow and steady stretching. Keep a beat here to hit your legs and glutes, and raise your arms to firm that upper bod.
Targets back, shoulders, abs, butt, and legs
- Start in a yoga chair position, squatting with your butt to the back and bringing your arms straight above your head.
- As you bring one leg out to the side, bring your arms down, keeping them bent at your shoulders.
- Bring your leg back in and return to the yoga chair position. Repeat on the other side.
- Do this for 40 seconds four times.
It's considered the ultimate abs exercise, but planks pull double-duty on your back, too. Give the side version an upgrade with slight rotations. But don't be fooled but how easy they look—we bet you'll start quivering sooner than you think.
Targets back, shoulders, abs, and legs
- Get into a side plank position, using one arm to hold yourself up with your other arm bent at your hip.
- Bend the leg that's closest to the ground and bring it straight out behind you, rotating your hips.
- Bring your leg back in.
- Do three sets of 10 on each side.
You'll seriously sculpt your chest and back by doing these push-ups, so long as you don't let your backside drop when you lower to the ground. Get to work!
Targets back, shoulders, triceps, biceps, and chest
- Get into a push-up position and bend one leg behind you.
- Lower your body to the ground by bending your elbows, keeping your back straight.
- Push yourself back up.
- Do eight to 10 reps on each side twice.
While this move focuses on your glutes, hamstrings and inner thighs, arching your back during this booty blaster makes sure that area gets some love, too.
Targets back, butt, hamstrings and inner thighs
- Lay flat on your stomach. Lift your chest up, arching your back and interlacing your hands behind your back.
- Lift your hands and legs up, touching your heels together.
- Slowly move your legs apart and bring them back together.
- Do three sets of 20.
Because you'll be focused on the cardio of this sweaty total-body move, you may not feel as much strengthening. But trust us: It's chiseling the fat right off your back.
Targets back, arms, abs, butt, and legs
- Stand on your left leg. As you inhale, lift your right knee to your chest while crunching your torso forward.
- As you exhale, jump and kick your leg back to stretch your torso, bringing your arms back, too.
- Do two sets of 40 seconds on each leg.
Time for a round of twister! (Not the game, though you can play that after this exercise for some good stretching.) This chair pose will stretch and strengthen your back while the rotations will hit your obliques.
Targets back, abs, hips, butt, and thighs
- Sit back in a chair position and extend your arms to one side, twisting your torso. Do this twice on each side.
- Bring your palms together in a prayer pose. One below should be outside of your knee and the other should be pointing above.
- Do two sets of four reps.
V-Sit Kick Combo
When you're in reverse plank, keep your arms steady and back stable to maximize each rep.
Targets back, shoulders, abs, and hips
- Get into a reverse plank position.
- Kick each leg into the air, alternating for 12 reps.
- When you finish the kicks, get into a "V" position, extending your arms above and legs out. Hold for 30 seconds.
- Do three to four sets.