You are here
The 8-Minute Better-Back Workout
Back exercises that help prevent back pain, eliminate back fat and strengthen and condition your back.
Get your doctor's okay before starting these strengthening and conditioning exercises.
Reduces stiffness in back and hips; relieves tension in spine
- a. Cow Pose: On hands and knees, inhale and lift head while making back concave.
- b. Cat Pose: On exhale, tuck tailbone, contract abs, and round back, head down.
- c. Child's Pose: Draw hips back to heels, drop chest, rounding spine, and rest forehead on floor, arms in front of you. Do 6 reps of whole cycle. Rest in Child's Pose for several breaths.
Stretches abs, hips, quads, lower back; strengthens abs
- Lie faceup with feet on floor about 6 inches from butt, arms by sides, palms down.
- Inhaling, press into feet and lift lower body until knees form a diagonal with head.
- As you exhale, contract your abs and slowly lower spine.
- Do 6 reps.
Extended Leg Pose
Stretches hamstrings; strengthens abs
- Lie faceup with knees bent, feet on floor; take 3 deep breaths.
- a. Exhale and hug left knee to chest.
- b. Inhaling, extend left leg over hip. Exhaling, hug it in. Do 3 reps.
- On fourth rep, keep leg up and circle ankle four times in each direction.
- Hug knee in; lower foot. Switch sides; repeat.
- Exhale and hug both knees to chest for 3 breaths.
Cobra Leg Lift
Strengthens back and pelvic muscles
- Lie facedown with elbows by sides, hands by shoulders.
- Rest forehead on floor, chin tucked slightly.
- Inhale and lift chest using back muscles.
- At the same time, lift right leg as high as you can while keeping pelvis level.
- Hold, then exhale to lower.
- Switch sides; repeat.
- Do 6 reps, alternating sides, lifting leg a little higher each time.
Video: Exercises for Back Pain
Try all five exercises to relieve back pain along with Nike Master Trainer Traci Copeland.