You are here
Fast Belly Blaster: Ab-Toning Resistance Workout
What You'll Need: A resistance band (5-foot Flat Band, $5, spri.com)
Targets: Shoulders, abs, and obliques
- Sit on floor with legs extended and together, center of band wrapped around soles of feet, holding one end of band in each hand. Bend knees slightly, keeping heels on floor, and clasp hands to bring both ends of band together.
- With abs engaged and back flat, lean back 45 degrees and extend arms in front of you at eye level.
Targets: Abs and butt
- Start on floor in push-up position (arms straight, balancing on hands and toes) with center of band wrapped around sole of right foot, holding one end of band in each hand, palms flat.
- Keeping abs engaged, pull right knee toward chest; round back toward ceiling slightly as if bringing head to meet knee. Press right heel back to straighten leg, then lower foot to start.
- Do 3 sets of 12 to 15 reps. Switch legs and repeat, maintaining push-up position throughout.
Targets: Abs and obliques
- Lie on right side on floor with legs together, hips stacked and center of band wrapped around soles of feet, holding ends of band in left hand. Extend right arm on floor in front of you at shoulder level, palm flat, and bring left hand in front of thighs.
- Keeping abs engaged and band taut, bend left elbow behind you at shoulder level as you lift upper body and legs as high as possible off floor, balancing on right hip; lower to start.
- Do 3 sets of 12 to 15 reps; switch sides and repeat.
- Lie faceup on floor with legs together, band wrapped around soles of feet, holding one end of band in each hand, arms by sides.
Targets: Back, abs, and obliques
- Stand on center of band with feet hip-width apart, holding one end of band in each hand. Bend elbows by sides, bringing hands up to shoulder level, palms facing forward.
- Bend knees slightly and rotate upper body (from hips up) to left, keeping feet planted; return to center and rotate to right to complete one rep.
- Do 3 sets of 12 to 15 reps.
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, July/August 2010.