Today is Global Running Day—and you obviously have to celebrate. Here are 18 ways to honor your one true love today. (There's a common theme: Whatever you do, get out and run. And consider enlisting these 17 Ways to Make Your Next Run More Fun.)
1. Go for a long run.
I'm running a little late today. Literally.
Love, All of Us
2. Go for a short run.
Only have time for a 20-minute trot? Fine by us! (Packed schedule? Here's How Busy People Make Time to Run.)
3. Try a new running workout.
Get your heart rate rocking with 800m sprints, hill repeats, or a hard tempo effort. Make this day count!
4. Run your favorite route.
It's tried, true, and special to you.
5. Run a new-to-you route.
Running is, after all, the best way to explore your surroundings. If you normally head out for the same five-mile loop around the 'hood, consider taking a left where you normally hang a right.
6. Run with friends.
Round up your sweat squad for a celebratory run together. What's better than that? (Running with friends has benefits. Here are 14 Reasons to Embrace the Buddy System.)
7. Run alone.
Raise your hand if you've ever had your best ideas or gotten a serious dose of perspective while out for a solo jaunt.
8. Cue up a running playlist packed with your favorite jams.
Might we suggest starting with "Eye of the Tiger?"
9. Ditch the headphones and run sans music.
If you normally insist on running plugged-in, try doing the opposite. What's that noise? It's nature! (Or, depending on where you're at, it's probably taxis honking, sirens roaring, or sidewalk musicians playing. Whatever it is, enjoy it for a change! Here's why one runner runs naked.)
10. Treat yourself to a new running outfit.
Tank, shorts, and sports bra. Maybe even throw in a fun new pair of socks. It's your special day! (Well, it's running's special day. But you get it.)
11. Treat yourself to a new pair of running shoes.
Again, #treatyoself. We repeat: Global Running Day! It's your special day!
12. Watch the episode of "Friends" where Phoebe and Rachel go running together.
Has running ever looked as fun as when Phoebe did it?
13. ...or the episode of "How I Met Your Mother" where Barney insists on running the New York City Marathon.
That post-race inability to stand? #same
14. ...or the episode of "Saved by the Bell" where Zack is on the track team.
Yeah, we went there. Who remembers Running Zack?
15. Stand in front of the mirror and instead of criticizing things, thank every single part of your body that allows you to run.
Your body is strong. It's the reason you're able to run. Give it a little credit. (Give it a lot of credit.)
16. Post a #TBT picture on Instagram recalling your favorite race or running moment.
(Yes, we know it's only Wednesday. It's fine.) Make sure to also use the #globalrunningday tag.
17. Register for a race!
Better yet: Convince your entire crew or family to join you! Fourth of July Fireworks 5K, anyone? (Or maybe go for a fall marathon. Here are 26.2 Ways a Marathon Will Change Your Life.)
18. Draft a mental thank-you note to running.
Thank you for all the good times, the memories, and the adventures. Thank you for the start lines, the finish lines, and all the sweat in between. Thank you for the strong quads and solid calves. Thank you for the life lessons, and for being the best way to explore the world. Thank you for always being there for me. Thank you for letting me take breaks from you when I've needed you, and thank you for always being there when I'm ready to come back. Thank you, running. I love you. Happy Global Running Day.
Love, [Your Name Here]