- cal. (kcal) 363
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Start to Finish: 25 mins
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 46
reduced-sodium soy sauce
adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers, (see Ingredient note), divided
water-packed extra-firm tofu, drained and rinsed
crusty whole-wheat bread, toasted
medium tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine mustard, soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce in a small bowl. Slice tofu crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick pieces. Pat dry with a paper towel and place on the prepared baking sheet. Using a spoon, spread half the mustard mixture on one side of the tofu. Turn the slices over and spread the remaining mixture on the other side.
- Bake the tofu for 20 minutes.
- Combine mayonnaise with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce in a small bowl. Spread the mixture on toasted bread. Divide the tofu, lettuce and tomato among 4 slices of toast and top with the remaining toast to make 4 sandwiches. Cut in half to serve.
- Tips: Ingredient Note: Canned chipotle peppers (smoked jalapenos) add heat and smokiness to dishes; the adobo sauce alone adds a spicy zest without extra heat. Look for small cans with other Mexican foods in large supermarkets. Once opened, chipotles will keep for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.
- MAKE AHEAD TIP: Prepare through Step 3. Wrap the baked tofu in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Nutrition InformationServings Per Recipe: 4
PER SERVING: 363 cal., 9 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 4 mg chol., 685 mg sodium, 46 g carb. (4 g fiber), 17 g pro.