Slow-Cooker Braised Pork with Salsa
- cal. (kcal) 252
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 8 hrs
- Start to Finish: 8 hrs
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 7
boneless pork shoulder, or butt
prepared tomatillo salsa, (see Ingredient Note)
reduced-sodium chicken broth
medium onion, thinly sliced
cumin seeds, or ground cumin
plum tomatoes, (1/2 pound), thinly sliced
chopped fresh cilantro, divided
reduced-fat sour cream
- Trim and discard pork surface fat. Cut meat apart following layers of fat around muscles; trim and discard fat. Cut into 2-inch chunks and rinse with cold water. Place in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Turn heat to high.
- Combine salsa, broth, onion and cumin seeds in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Pour over the meat. Add tomatoes and mix gently. Put the lid on and cook until the meat is pull-apart tender, 6 to 7 hours.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the pork to a large bowl; cover and keep warm. Pour the sauce and vegetables into a large skillet; skim fat. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil, skimming froth from time to time, for about 20 minutes, to intensify flavors and thicken slightly. Add the pork and 1/4 cup cilantro; heat through.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of the remaining 1/4 cup cilantro. Oven method: Total: 3 hours Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine pork, salsa, 1/2 cup chicken broth, onion, cumin seeds and tomatoes in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish; cover snugly with foil. Bake until the pork is pull-apart tender, about 2 1/4 hours. Skim fat. Uncover and bake until the meat begins to brown, about 15 minutes more. Stir in 1/4 cup cilantro. Ladle into bowls, garnish with sour cream and remaining cilantro.
- Tips: Ingredient Note: Tomatillo salsa (sometimes labeled salsa verde or green salsa) is a blend of green chiles, onions and tomatillos. It is sold in supermarkets.
- MAKE AHEAD TIP: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Reheat on the stovetop, in a microwave or in the oven.
Nutrition InformationServings Per Recipe: 6
PER SERVING: 252 cal., 10 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 141 mg chol., 278 mg sodium, 7 g carb. (1 g fiber), 50 g pro.