Fanny's Tomato Salad With Crispy Shallots
- cal. (kcal) 139
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 18
plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
large shallots (about 1/2 pound total), sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick and separated into rings
small tomatoes, sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Handful of fresh basil leaves, torn
- In a small bowl, combine the minced shallot and vinegar and let stand for at least 5 minutes.
- Whisk in 3 tablespoons olive oil to make a vinaigrette; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a small skillet, heat 1/2 cup olive oil over medium-high heat. Add half the sliced shallots and cook only about 2 minutes, or until they are approaching golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, lift the shallots out of the oil and transfer them to a paper towel to drain. Season with salt. Repeat with the remaining sliced shallots. Set aside.
- Arrange the tomatoes on a large platter. Season with salt and pepper. Just before serving, drizzle with the vinaigrette and top with the fried shallots and basil leaves.
Nutrition InformationServings Per Recipe: 6
PER SERVING: 139 cal., 8 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 18 g carb. (3 g fiber), 3 g pro.