Healthy Pancake Mix
- cal. (kcal) 272
- Makes: 18 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Start to Finish: 20 mins
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 27
buttermilk powder, (see Note)
dried egg whites, such as Just Whites (see Note)
flaxseed meal, (see Note)
nonfat dry milk
wheat bran, or oat bran
- Whisk flour, buttermilk powder, dried egg whites, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in flaxseed meal, dry milk and bran. Makes 6 cups pancake mix. To make pancakes:
- Combine 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk, 1/4 cup canola oil and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in a glass measuring cup.
- Place 2 cups pancake mix in a large bowl. (Refrigerate the remaining pancake mix in an airtight container for up to 1 month or freeze for up to 3 months.) Make a well in the center of the pancake mix. Whisk in the milk mixture until just blended; do not overmix. (The batter will seem quite thin, but will thicken up as it stands.) Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Coat a nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Whisk the batter. Using 1/4 cup batter for each pancake, cook pancakes until the edges are dry and bubbles begin to form, about 2 minutes. Turn over and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes longer. Adjust heat as necessary for even browning. Makes 6 servings, 2 pancakes each.
- Tips: Notes: Buttermilk powder, such as Saco Buttermilk Blend, is a useful substitute for fresh buttermilk. Look in the baking section or with the powdered milk in most markets.
- Dried egg whites are convenient in recipes calling for egg whites because there is no waste. Look for brands like Just Whites in the baking or natural-foods section of most supermarkets or online at bakerscatalogue.com.
- You can find flaxseed meal in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets. You can also start with whole flaxseeds: Grind 23 cup whole flaxseeds to yield 1 cup.
- MAKE AHEAD TIP: Refrigerate the dry mix in an airtight container for up to 1 month or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition InformationServings Per Recipe: 18
PER SERVING: 272 cal., 13 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 8 mg chol., 471 mg sodium, 27 g carb. (5 g fiber), 12 g pro.