This week, I thought I'd share my favorite healthy 'comfort food' recipe -
Twice Baked Goat Cheese Potatoes.
Ingredients (serves six - eight)
- 10 small to medium Russet potatoes
- 1 8-ounce package of herb and garlic goat cheese (if only regular is available, add 1 tablespoon garlic and 2 tablespoons dried Italian herb blend to the recipe).
- 2 cups loosely packed raw spinach
- 6 carrots
- 1/2 tablespoon salt, plus more for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (alternatively, you can microwave the potatoes; do 3 – 4 potatoes at a time, individually wrapped in a wet paper towel, for 6 – 9 minutes)
- Rinse potatoes, stab with a fork, and rub with olive oil.
- Bake potatoes for 1 hour 10 minutes or until soft.
- Remove from oven and slice lengthwise. Allow 5 minutes to cool off a bit.
- Carefully remove the insides of the potatoes using a small spoon. Set potato insides in bowl; lay out skins on a greased casserole dish (or two).
- In a food processor, combine the carrots and spinach until blended. Remove half and set aside.
- Add goat cheese to remaining carrots and spinach and blend. Add half of potato mixture and blend. Add last half of potato mixture and blend some more. Add in salt. Add leftover spinach and carrots and blend yet again. It will take a while to get everything smooth and creamy.
- Carefully scoop back cheese and potato mixture into potato skins. Sprinkle tops with a generous amount of salt.
- Bake stuffed potato skins for an additional 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Serve and enjoy!