Big wave surfing has long been a men's sport. But 24-year-old Brazilian Maya Gabeira is out to show the men how it's done! Maya's fearless attitude has helped her tackle some of the biggest waves across the globe, including the one she successfully rode in 2009. The 45-foot wave near South Africa was the biggest wave ever surfed by a female! Maya has won an ESPY for Best Female Action Sport Athlete and last year, she was selected as the Billabong Girls Best Overall Performance Award for the fourth time in a row.
Hoping that some of her motivation, perseverance and strength would rub off, we asked Maya to share her current workout playlist picks and a few pointers for beginning surfers.
- “Born This Way," Lady Gaga
- "Moment 4 Life," Nicki Minaj (feat. Drake)
- "Empire State of Mind," Jay-Z (feat. Alicia Keys)
- Anything by Rihanna
- "Not Afraid," Eminem
Maya's Three Tips for Beginning Surfers:
- Never give up! "Surfing is a difficult sport to learn. Remember to have fun, relax and try not be afraid of falling. Everyone falls a lot in the beginning. It took me a month before I was able to stand on the board!"
- Show some effort. "Once you do get the basics down, it’s the most exhilarating experience. It does require time and dedication, but I’ve never heard anyone say they regretted it."
- Get educated. "Personally, it helped me a great deal to go to surf school. Getting help from trained people who have lots of expertise and can provide an easier and more appropriate board for each person makes a big difference when you are learning!”