National Eating Disorders Awareness Week kicks off today, and this year's theme is "It's Time to Talk About It." So we are! Here are five need-to-know facts:
- As many as 7 percent of American females have battled with bulimia at some point during their lives.
- Among teenage women, anorexia is the third most common chronic illness.
- More than 10 million women and 1 million men in the U.S. are struggling with anorexia or bulimia.
- One to four percent of the U.S. population is affected by binge eating disorder, recent studies have found.
- Anorexia, bulimia and binge eating aren't the only eating disorders. While not officially recognized disorders yet, orthorexia (an extreme focus on eating healthfully and the "right" foods) and diabulimia (when diabetics alter insulin levels to try to lose weight) have been noticed more and more in recent years.
Here at FITNESS, we strive to be healthy from the inside out. If you or someone you know may be struggling with an eating disorder, click here for more resources and support.