With A-list glam-squads out of reach, we created this makeup tutorial that makes the smoked-out eye look easier than ever. There are no freaky tricks involved—just a few simple steps to get you looking holiday–ready.
You'll need: a neutral eye base, a light-colored eyeshadow, a cream-colored eyeshadow, a brown kohl eyeliner, a black kohl eyeliner, a brown eyeshadow, volumizing mascara, and some fake eyelashes (optional).
1. Apply a neutral eye base all over your eyelid from the lash line to the brow. The Mac Pro Longwear Paint Pot in "Clearwater" is a great option, because it helps keep the rest of your eyeshadows in place all day.
2. Highlight underneath the brow with a light-colored eyeshadow.
3. Use a cream-colored shadow, like the Mac Pro Longwear Paint Pot in "Constructivist," on your eyelid from the lash line to the crease. This will help intensify the smokey look and prevent the shadows from settling into the crease of the eyelid.
4. Shade a warm brown kohl eyeliner on the eyelid from the lash line to the crease.
5. Smudge the eyeliner using an eyeshadow in a similar color, blending both into the crease.
6. Apply a black kohl liner to the top lash line and inner rim of the eye.
7. Smudge the top liner with a charcoal shadow and the bottom liner with a brown shadow.
8. Enhance your eyelashes with mascara, and if you really want to pump up the volume, apply false lashes.