Feel Stronger and More Energized: The You Can Do It Makeover Workout Plan
Your Cardio Plan
Start off your first week by doing the steady-paced workout. Then add in some high-intensity intervals. Do these workouts with your favorite activity (we used the treadmill), using your rate of perceived exertion (RPE), or how difficult it feels on a scale of 1 to 10.Cardio Workout 1: Steady Pace
- Warm up for 3 to 5 minutes at 3.5 mph (RPE 3-4).
- Walk briskly at 4.0 mph or jog at 6.0 mph for 30 minutes (RPE 6).
- Walk for 3 to 5 minutes at 3.5 mph (RPE 4) to cool down.
Total time: 36 to 40 minutesCardio Workout 2: Intervals
- Warm up for 5 minutes at 3.5 mph (RPE 3-4).
- Sprint for 1 minute (7.0-9.0 mph) or walk briskly on an incline (4.0-4.5 mph; 5% incline) (RPE 7.5-9).
- Recover for 2 minutes at 3.7-4.0 mph (RPE 4-5).
- Do 6 intervals total.
- Cool down for 5 minutes at 3.3 mph (RPE 3-4).
Total time: 28 minutes
Originally published in FITNESS Magazine.com, September 2006.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.