The 9 Most Effective Ways to Get Your Best Body
Goal: Fix lower-body trouble zones
Winning Strategy: Double up your training
Researcher: Jeffrey Janot, assistant professor in the department of kinesiology at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
Get a one-two punch out of your lower-body routine by doing moves that target the glutes and leg muscles at once. "Contracting the legs and glutes together works more muscles in less time," says Janot. Choose a few of Janot's favorite bottom-boosting moves each workout.
- Forward lunge: 12 to 15 reps per leg, 1 or 2 sets
- Step-up lunge (stepping onto a 1- to 2-foot-high bench): 10 reps per leg, 1 or 2 sets
- Walking lunge: 20 lunges on alternating legs, 2 sets
- Side lunge: 12 to 15 reps per leg, 1 or 2 sets
- Star lunge: Leading with your right leg, lunge forward, diagonally forward to the right, to the right side, diagonally behind you and directly back. Reverse direction, lunging back to front with the right foot. Repeat on left side. Do 1 or 2 sets per leg.
- Stationary lunge: 10 reps per leg, 1 or 2 sets
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.