Pre-Race Power Meals for Runners
Your Pre-Race Nutrition Strategy
Indulge in high-carb dinners starting two nights before your race. "You want a meal that's 50 to 60 percent carbs, is easily digested, and won't upset your stomach," says Lauren Antonucci, RD, director of Nutrition Energy in New York City. Sick of spaghetti? Test-drive these dishes from top chefs while training and see if one revs you up better than your usual heap of noodles.Capellini with Chicken, Broccoli, and Pecorino Cheese
"I always eat a bowl of pasta, like this capellini recipe, whether I have a half-marathon or a 53-mile bike race the next day," says Thom Fox, executive chef at Public House and three-hour marathoner.
Makes: 4 servingsIngredients
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken thigh meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, grated or minced very fine
- 1 tablespoon fresh (or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried) thyme, minced
- 2 1/2 cups broccoli, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 8 ounces capellini pasta
- 4 tablespoons pecorino cheese, freshly grated
- Salt to taste
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick pan. Add chicken and cook over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes, until lightly browned. Add garlic and thyme and cook 30 seconds more. Remove chicken from pan and keep warm.
- Add broccoli to pan and saute for 30 seconds. Add 1/2 cup hot water and cover. Cook about 4 minutes, until broccoli is slightly soft. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions.
- Add chicken to broccoli and remove pan from heat. When pasta is done, drain and add to pan. Stir and sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition facts per serving: 415 calories, 30g protein, 53g carbohydrate, 10g fat (2g saturated), 6g fiber
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)