The 2011 Champions of Health and Fitness
Pages in this Story:
- America's Doctor: Regina Benjamin, MD
- Compassionate Medicine: Roseanna Means, MD
- The Wheel Deal: Chris Carney
- Budding Genius: Donna Cavato
- Tough-Love Trainer: Jillian Michaels
- Healing Force: Kathryn Schmitz, PhD
- Class Act: John Skretta
- Action Heroine: Jessica Biel
- Social Networker: Chris Downie
- Food Revolutionary: Jamie Oliver
Social Networker: Chris Downie
By Cristina Goyanes
Inspired by his own healthy makeover in his twenties and by helping a colleague lose 50 pounds, Chris Downie came up with an innovative way to turn those aha moments, or "sparks," into a business. In 2001 he launched SparkPeople.com, an online community whose mission is to help people reach their health goals. Today, with 9 million users, it is the largest diet and fitness website in the United States, and features health tips, online tools like fitness trackers, workout videos, and recipes -- all free. "Helping someone else be successful helps you stick to your own goals," Downie says. "It truly changes your life."
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.