The 2011 Champions of Health and Fitness
Pages in this Story:
- America's Doctor: Regina Benjamin, MD
- Compassionate Medicine: Roseanna Means, MD
- The Wheel Deal: Chris Carney
- Budding Genius: Donna Cavato
- Tough-Love Trainer: Jillian Michaels
- Healing Force: Kathryn Schmitz, PhD
- Class Act: John Skretta
- Action Heroine: Jessica Biel
- Social Networker: Chris Downie
- Food Revolutionary: Jamie Oliver
Action Heroine: Jessica Biel
By Patty Adams Martinez
She's been in plenty of adventure movies, but Jessica Biel's favorite role is the take-action crusader she plays off-screen. "I feel it's important to stand up for what you believe in," the actress has said. Biel has hosted and participated in Revlon Run/Walks for breast and ovarian cancer (her grandmother is a breast cancer survivor), and she's also a defender of the environment. Biel made headlines last January by climbing Kilimanjaro to raise awareness of the global water crisis. She credits her love of exercise to her childhood in Boulder, Colorado. "For me, being athletic and active is a way of life," she says. No surprise, then, that Biel has set her sights on climbing to one of the base camps on Mount Everest. As she puts it, "I would encourage anyone who has a voice to get behind something that makes sense for them."
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.