You are here
Lucy Liu's Lean Routine
Targets core, hips, butt, and legs
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, hands on hips.
- Lower into a squat as you step right leg directly out to side.
- Step right foot back in as you stand up to return to start. MAKE IT HARDER: Using gliding discs or a towel on hard floor, slide foot out and back.
- Continue, alternating legs.
Long Stretch with a Twist
Targets triceps, chest, abs, obliques, butt, and hamstrings
- Start in full plank position.
- Bring right knee in toward chest; return to start, extending heel behind you, and bring left knee in toward chest.
- Bring right knee toward left elbow; return to start. Bring left knee toward right elbow.
- Lift bent right knee out to right side; return to start. Lift left knee out to left side.
- Continue to repeat series.
Pike with a Twist
Targets shoulders, triceps, chest, abs, and obliques
- Start in full plank position with shins resting on a stability ball, palms on floor.
- Bring knees diagonally in toward left elbow, keeping hips high while rolling stability ball down shins; return to start.
- Repeat, bringing knees toward right elbow. Continue, alternating sides.
Targets butt and hamstrings
- Lie faceup on floor with knees bent 90 degrees and feet resting on a stability ball or the seat of a sturdy chair. MAKE IT HARDER: Position yourself at arm's distance from a wall behind you and press palms into wall.
- Lift hips so that body forms a straight line from knees to shoulders. Slowly lower spine to floor, one vertebra at a time. Repeat.
Targets shoulders, abs, obliques, and butt
- Lie on left side in side plank position, body balanced on left elbow, feet flexed, left foot in front of right, hips lifted off floor to form a straight line from head to heels, right hand on hip.
- Rotate hips so that pelvis is facing floor. Return to start. Do 12 to 15 reps per side.
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, March 2013.