Targets core, hips, butt, and legs
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, hands on hips.
- Lower into a squat as you step right leg directly out to side.
- Step right foot back in as you stand up to return to start. MAKE IT HARDER: Using gliding discs or a towel on hard floor, slide foot out and back.
- Continue, alternating legs.
Long Stretch with a Twist
Targets triceps, chest, abs, obliques, butt, and hamstrings
- Start in full plank position.
- Bring right knee in toward chest; return to start, extending heel behind you, and bring left knee in toward chest.
- Bring right knee toward left elbow; return to start. Bring left knee toward right elbow.
- Lift bent right knee out to right side; return to start. Lift left knee out to left side.
- Continue to repeat series.
Pike with a Twist
Targets shoulders, triceps, chest, abs, and obliques
- Start in full plank position with shins resting on a stability ball, palms on floor.
- Bring knees diagonally in toward left elbow, keeping hips high while rolling stability ball down shins; return to start.
- Repeat, bringing knees toward right elbow. Continue, alternating sides.
Targets butt and hamstrings
- Lie faceup on floor with knees bent 90 degrees and feet resting on a stability ball or the seat of a sturdy chair. MAKE IT HARDER: Position yourself at arm's distance from a wall behind you and press palms into wall.
- Lift hips so that body forms a straight line from knees to shoulders. Slowly lower spine to floor, one vertebra at a time. Repeat.
Targets shoulders, abs, obliques, and butt
- Lie on left side in side plank position, body balanced on left elbow, feet flexed, left foot in front of right, hips lifted off floor to form a straight line from head to heels, right hand on hip.
- Rotate hips so that pelvis is facing floor. Return to start. Do 12 to 15 reps per side.
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, March 2013.
You are here
Lucy Liu's Lean Routine
To keep her body toned, the star swears by regular Pilates sessions. Steal five of her fave exercises from her longtime trainer Jared Kaplan, the owner of eco-chic Studio 26 in New York City. "Lucy does these on a reformer, but I've modified them for a mat," Kaplan says. "Instead of counting reps, continue until just before your form starts to falter."