How It Works
Need to get fit fast? We asked top instructors from 24 Hour Fitness club's sweatastic 24 S.E.T. class to give us their favorite toners for this one-week, whip-you-into-wow plan. "The results you get from the combination of strength and endurance training [S.E.T.] that's built into these total-body moves are far superior to anything else I've seen," says veteran instructor Jill Aucoin in Arvada, Colorado. No wonder: You'll burn 300 calories per 35-minute session — as much as by jogging — and firm every inch of flab.
Perform this circuit twice — start over after completing the first round — in the order shown, alternating the faster-paced cardio endurance bursts called Movers (using 2- to 5-pound weights) with the sculpting strength exercises called Shapers (using heavier 6- to 10-pound weights). Keep your rhythm as snappy as you can for the Movers while maintaining good form; take it slow for the Shapers and try not to pause between exercises. Beginners can use one set of the lighter (2- to 5-pound) dumbbells throughout or perform the Movers without weights. Do three Mover-Shaper workouts during the week on nonconsecutive days. On days in between, pick one of our Faster Calorie Blaster sessions or do 30 minutes of your favorite cardio.
What You'll Need: Two sets of 2- to 10-pound dumbbells.
Let's get started!
Mover: Foosball Kick
Targets: Abs, butt, and quads
- Stand holding a lighter dumbbell in each hand and bend elbows to bring weights near rib cage, palms facing each other.
- Keeping weights tucked by ribs throughout move, tighten abs as you lift bent right knee up to hip height, then kick forward with right foot.
Shaper: Stork Stand with Curl
- Stand on right leg with left leg bent behind you, holding a heavier weight in each hand, palms facing fronts of thighs.
- Lean slightly forward from hips for balance.
Mover: Sidestep Squat with Row
Targets: Upper back, biceps, butt, and legs
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, holding a light weight in each hand, elbows slightly bent, palms facing fronts of thighs.
Shaper: Reverse Lunge with T-Raise
Targets: Shoulders, butt, hips, quads, and calves
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, holding a heavier weight in each hand, arms by sides.
Mover: Cancan Kickback
Targets: Triceps, abs, hips, and legs
- Stand on left leg with right toes touching floor several inches in front of you, holding a light weight in each hand, arms extended slightly behind butt, palms facing in.
Shaper: Woodchop Plie
Targets: Arms, butt, hips, legs, and inner and outer thighs
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, toes pointed slightly outward, holding a heavier weight in each hand.
- Bring both hands over left shoulder, elbows bent, dumbbells near left ear.
Mover: Hands-Up Front to Rear Lunge
Targets: Shoulders, butt, and legs
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, holding a lighter weight in each hand straight overhead, palms facing forward.
- Keeping arms overhead throughout, lunge forward with right leg, right knee bent 90 degrees and aligned over ankle, left knee bent 90 degrees toward floor.
Shaper: Modified Weighted Hundred
Targets: Abs, deltoids, and lower back
- Sit on floor with knees bent, feet flat, holding a heavy weight in each hand, palms facing floor.
- Lean torso back 45 degrees and lift arms forward, keeping them straight, about a foot off floor so weights are on either side of thighs.
- Keeping abs tight and back straight throughout, pulse weights up and down 1 inch — that's 1 rep.
- Do 20 reps. (Build up to 40, depending on your fitness level.)
Mover: Iron Mountain Climber
Targets: Chest, back, and abs
- Place light weights on floor shoulder-width apart.
- Grasp dumbbells, palms facing in, and get into full push-up position: shoulders directly above wrists, body balanced on hands and toes in a straight line from head to heels.
- Maintaining this position, lift left knee in toward chest.
Targets: Shoulders and obliques
- Holding a heavier weight in each hand, lie on back, arms by sides, palms facing in.
- Extend left arm straight up toward ceiling and bend knees 90 degrees, lifting feet in air so that shins are parallel to floor.
Faster Calorie Blasters
These low-impact interval routines from Jill Aucoin burn up to 277 calories. (Beginners can stick to the easier levels suggested.)
Blaster #1: Stairclimber or Elliptical Machine
Minutes Level 5 Warm up at resistance level of 3 or 4 5 5 or 6 5 6 or 7 10 8 or 9 5 6 or 7 5 3 or 4 Calories burned = 212 (elliptical); 273 (stair)
Blaster #2: Cycling (Outdoor or Stationary Bike)
Minutes Level 5 Warm up at an easy level (10 to 12 mph) 2 Moderate effort (12 to 14 mph) 2 Easy 2 Moderately hard (14 to 16 mph) 2 Easy 2 Hard (16 to 19 mph) 2 Easy 1 Hard, then reverse the order back to start Calories burned = 277
Blaster #3: Power-Walk or Jog
Minutes Level 5 Moderate walk (3 mph ) 5 Moderately fast walk (3.5 to 4 mph) 5 Power-walk or jog (4.5 to 5 mph) 5 Moderate walk (3 mph) 5 Power-walk or jog (4.5 to 5 mph) 5 Moderately fast walk (3.5 to 4 mph) 5 Moderate walk (3 mph) Calories burned = 161 (walking); 191 (jogging) *Calories burned are based on a 140-pound woman.
Your Weeklong Workout Plan
Weekday Exercise Monday Mover-Shaper Workout Tuesday Faster Calorie Blaster or 30 Minutes Favorite Cardio Wednesday Mover-Shaper Workout Thursday Faster Calorie Blaster or 30 Minutes Favorite Cardio Friday Off Saturday Mover-Shaper Workout Sunday Faster Calorie Blaster or 30 Minutes Favorite Cardio