The Love Your Shape Workout
PearYou're a pear if most of your weight is below the waist
Your plan: To balance a heavier lower half, focus on adding muscle definition to your chest, back, and shoulders by lifting heavier weights with fewer repetitions. At the same time, improve lower-body endurance and sculpt your butt and thighs by doing more reps with lighter weights. One of the fastest ways to achieve this is through triple supersets -- back-to-back-to-back exercises with three moves for the upper body, three for the lower body, and three for the upper body and core -- with no rest between sets. (Take about 30 seconds to rest between supersets.) "It's a great way to boost your heart rate and burn fat while building lean muscle," says Mak.The Pear Workout
- Superset 1: Bent-Over Dumbbell Row, Lateral-to-Front Dumbbell Raise, Dumbbell Flye on Ball (3 sets each, 8 to 12 reps; use moderate to heavy weights)
- Superset 2: Lunge with Biceps Curl, Squat and Calf Raise, Rear Leg Lift (4 sets each, 15 to 20 reps; use light to moderate weights)
- Superset 3: Long-Arm Ball Crunch, Overhead Triceps Extension, Oblique Ball Crunch (3 sets each, 8 to 12 reps; use moderate to heavy weights)
- Cardio: Do two moderate to hard steady-paced workouts a week for at least 30 minutes with the cardio of your choice. Use your rate of perceived exertion (RPE), or how difficult the exercise feels on a scale of 1 to 10; try to keep your effort at about a 7 or 8. In addition, do one interval routine (below) each week.
- Warm up: 5 minutes, RPE 3-4 (easy)
- Speed burst: 2 minutes, RPE 8-9 (hard)
- Recover: 2 minutes, RPE 5-6 (moderate)
- Repeat speed burst/recovery for a total of 5 times
- Cool down: 5 minutes, RPE 3-4 (easy)
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)