Jeanette Jenkins' Fat-Blasting Exercises
Trainer-to-the-stars Jeanette Jenkins says her clients love it when she adds high-intensity moves to their routine. To make it more fun and help them visualize exercises, she also incorporates sports-oriented drills. She gave us five of her favorite oomph-building sculptors to rev up your routine. Just one caveat, says Jenkins: Any exercisers who may be overweight should skip the jumps -- she recommends against doing such taxing plyo moves until you've hit your healthy weight range.
Burpee combo with side shuffle
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart. Squat low, placing hands on floor shoulder-width apart and hop or step legs back into full push-up position.
- Do a push-up, then step or hop feet in toward your hands again.
- Jump up (reach high!), then land in a squat and immediately shuffle twice to left.
- Lower into a squat, touch both hands to floor, stand up, then repeat shuffle and touch to the right to complete 1 rep.
- Do 10 reps (that's 10 burpees and 20 shuffles).
- Stand with feet slightly staggered, left in front of right, and hands in fists next to chin.
- Jump up and land on left leg as you kick forward with right.
- Bring right foot down to starting position then lean forward and extend left leg back behind you.
- Do 10 reps then switch sides and repeat.
- Stand with feet hip-width and extend arms out to sides, palms facing down and fingers long.
- Keep arms raised as you hop on left leg and extend right leg out to side, then quickly hop onto right leg and extend left leg out to side.
- Finally, hop back onto left leg and lift the right leg out high to the side for one count as you balance on left leg. (You should feel the glute of the lifted leg working just as much as the glute on the balancing leg.) Switch sides and repeat lift to complete 1 rep.
- Do 10 reps.
Power plyo lunge
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, hands on hips or by sides.
- Jump up as you scissor legs, right leg forward and left leg back, landing with knees soft and feet side-by-side.
- Immediately jump up and switch legs (left leg forward and right leg back), then jump up again and switch (right leg forward, left leg back), this time lowering into a full lunge to complete 1 rep.
- Jump up and repeat (the rhythm is "scissor, scissor, lunge").
- Do 10 reps.
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and picture a volleyball net in front of you.
- Lower into a half-squat and raise arms at your sides, elbows bent and hands next to your shoulders, palms facing forward.
- Shuffle three times to your left, then jump up as if you were blocking a shot, extending arms overhead. Immediately shuffle back to the other direction and jump up.
- Do 10 shuffles to each side.