Tony Horton's Workout
Pudge-proof your winter with this two-week tighten-it-up blast from the transformation master himself, Tony Horton. "This is one routine you will not blow off, because it delivers the greatest amount of change in the shortest amount of time," says Horton, who gave FITNESS an exclusive look at the P90X class he's bringing to a gym near you. Based on his blockbuster workout DVD sets, this quick circuit is your perfect antidote for the holiday slide. By using different muscles in Horton's signature UIML (upper body, interval, middle, lower body) pattern, "you don't need any downtime between moves," he says, thereby amping your fat burn as you firm all over. Warm up for five minutes, then grab a three- to six-pound medicine ball and do the moves in order, taking a breather only between rounds one and two. Repeat the entire circuit for a 24-minute trimmer you can do up to four days a week. (On alternating days, try some light cardio or yoga.) Reboot the 14-day routine whenever you could stand to lose a few!
Round 1: Swimmer Push-Up
Targets shoulders, chest, arms, abs, obliques, and butt
- Begin in full plank position with feet wide.
- Do a single push-up, then lift right arm and left leg so they're parallel to ground.
- MAKE IT EASIER: Lift only right arm.
- Circle right arm backward, as if doing a backstroke.
- Return to start. Continue push-ups and arm circles for 1 minute (or 15 reps), alternating sides.
Toe Tap 360
Fifer Scissors Twist
Targets butt and legs
- Stand with feet hip-width apart and lunge backward with right leg, bending both knees 90 degrees.
- Pressing off left foot, drive right knee up toward chest and swing left arm forward as you leap upward vertically.
- Land on left leg and immediately step right leg back into lunge position. Continue for 30 seconds (or 15 reps), then switch sides and repeat for 30 seconds.
Rest for 1 minute.
Round 2: Shoulder-Shaper Squat
- Holding medicine ball in front of chest, elbows bent by sides, stand with feet hip-width apart.
- Lower into a squat, legs bent 90 degrees.
Hold position as you extend arms overhead, then slowly lower ball, keeping arms straight, to chest level.
- Bend elbows to bring ball back into chest to complete 1 rep. Continue for 1 minute (or 15 to 30 reps).
- Start with feet staggered, left in front of right, and elbows bent by sides with fists in front of face.
- Drive left hip forward as you jab with left arm, recoiling quickly to return to start.
- Punch forward with right arm, driving right hip forward, twisting slightly and then recoiling quickly.
- Place hands on ground and jump back into a full plank position.
- Jump feet back in next to hands and stand up with right foot stag?gered in front of left.
- Continue for 1 minute (or 15 to 30 reps), alternating sides.
Row Your Boat
- Sit on ground with knees bent, feet flat.
- Lean torso back 45 degrees and, keeping knees bent, lift feet so that shins are parallel to ground; extend arms forward alongside knees in a V-sit position.
- Extend legs upward diagonally as you drive elbows behind you in a rowing motion. Return to V-sit position.
- Continue for 45 seconds (or 15 to 20 reps).
One-Legged Squat Reach
- Stand on left leg with right foot a few inches off ground near left ankle.
- Bend left leg about 90 degrees, keeping back straight and reaching right hand to outside of left foot.
- Return to start. Continue for 30 seconds (or 15 reps), then switch sides and repeat for 30 seconds.
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, November/December 2012.