About This Workout
All workout and no play can make you miss a spot. "When you're being active just for fun, you call on so many muscles without even realizing it — maybe some that your regular routine skips," says trainer Melissa Morin, the creator of the Adult Summer Camp class for New York Sports Clubs, which cribs total-body moves from favorite pastimes. When you can't get out for some old-school recess, grab a set of three- to five-pound weights for three circuits of Morin's quickie session. Then bring on the poolside selfies.
Row Your Boat
Targets shoulders, back, arms, abs
- Sit on floor with knees bent, feet flat, holding a dumbbell in each hand with arms extended forward and palms down.
- Lean torso back 45 degrees as you drive elbows behind you, bringing dumbbells by ribs.
- Sit back up to return to start.
- Do 20 reps.
Targets back, arms, abs, butt, legs
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, holding a dumbbell in left hand, palm facing forward, arms by sides.
- Lunge forward with right leg, bending both knees 90 degrees, and swing left arm across body at chest level.
- Extend right arm in front of body and quickly pass dumbbell to right hand as you return to start.
- Switch sides and repeat, lunging with left leg and swinging right arm. Do 20 reps, alternating sides.
Targets abs, butt, legs
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, holding a single dumbbell with both hands, elbows bent and hands in front of chest.
- Lower into a squat, then hop forward, landing on left leg with knee bent (like a single-leg squat).
- Lower right foot to floor and repeat: Squat, then hop forward, this time landing on right leg.
- Do 10 reps in one direction, alternating sides, then turn around and do 10 more.
- Make It Easier: Stand in place, alternating single- and double-leg squats.
Targets arms, abs, legs
- Stand with feet close together, holding a dumbbell in each hand, elbows bent with forearms slightly out to sides, palms facing up.
- Keeping elbows close to ribs, make small circular motions with forearms (as if twirling a jump rope) as you hop up and down with both feet for 50 counts.
- Switch to alternating landing on one foot and then the other or hopping both feet together from side to side for 50 counts.
- Make It Easier: Crank up the intensity by jumping higher and faster.
Targets back, abs, butt, legs
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, knees slightly bent, holding a dumbbell in each hand, arms by sides.
- Hinge forward from hips 45 degrees; bend elbows out to sides to bring dumbbells by chest, palms down.
- Extend arms down, parallel to thighs, then sweep arms behind you while squeezing triceps.
- Bend elbows to bring dumbbells by chest again, keeping arms close to sides throughout, and repeat.
- Do 20 reps.
Targets arms, abs, butt, legs
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, holding a single dumbbell with both hands, elbows bent slightly out to sides and hands in front of chest.
- Squat, hinging forward from hips 45 degrees, and twist torso to left, extending arms so that dumbbell is by left hip.
- Return to start and repeat, this time twisting to right.
- Do 20 reps, alternating sides.