Targets: Biceps, butt, and legs
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, holding handle of kettlebell in left hand, with arms by sides, palms facing in.
- Lunge backward with left leg, bending both knees 90 degrees.
Gunslinger Curl Step 2
- Quickly press through right heel to straighten legs as you bend left elbow into a biceps curl, bringing kettlebell to chest level so that bottom of bell points forward.
- Return to lunge position, lowering left arm by side.
- Do 12 to 15 reps. Switch sides and repeat. Do 2 sets.
Targets: Triceps, chest, abs, and obliques
- Holding handle of kettlebell in left hand, start on floor in full push-up position, balancing on hands and feet with arms extended, left palm facing in and right palm flat; step feet out wide. MAKE IT EASIER: Perform on knees.
- Bring kettlebell by ribs, left elbow bent directly behind you. Return to start.
- Repeat, this time rotating torso to left as you lift kettlebell so that shoulders are stacked, kettlebell in front of chest. Return to start to complete 1 rep.
- Do 10 reps. Switch sides and repeat. Do 2 sets.
Targets: Shoulders, arms, abs, butt, and legs
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, holding kettlebell handle with both hands in front of hips, bell facing down.
- Squat, lowering kettlebell toward floor, and then return to start.
Halo Squat Step 2
- Trace a circle around head with kettlebell, bringing it first by left ear, then behind head and finally by right ear. Return kettlebell; to front of hips to complete 1 rep.
- Do 2 sets of 12 to 15 reps, alternating clockwise and counterclockwise circles.
Targets: Arms, abs, and back
- Sit on floor with knees bent, feet flat, holding handle of kettlebell in front of chest with both hands so that bell is facing upward.
Rocking Torch Step 2
- Keeping kettlebell close to chest, roll onto back and then lift hips off floor with legs extended up, toes pointed.
- Continue to engage abs and roll forward to start. MAKE IT HARDER: Extend arms to press kettlebell overhead when sitting upright.
- Do 2 sets of 15 reps.
Targets: Shoulders, triceps, abs, obliques, and legs
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, holding kettlebell in right hand with arm extended overhead (grip handle so palm is facing forward and ball of kettlebell rests on back of right forearm).
- Keeping right arm extended toward ceiling, look up at kettlebell as you squat and rotate torso to right from hips to touch left hand to floor between feet. Return to standing.
- Then bend right elbow 90 degrees to lower kettlebell behind head. Return to start to complete 1 rep.
- Do 15 reps, switch sides and repeat. Do 2 sets.
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, September 2011.