Squat, Swing, Shuffle
What you'll need: a set of 5- to 10-pound dumbbells
How this workout works: Perform each move for 45 seconds, doing as many reps as possible in that time and resting for 15 seconds between moves. Complete the circuit four times.
Targets shoulders, back, arms, abs, butt, legs
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, holding a dumbbell in left hand in front of hips, palm facing in.
- Squat and swing dumbbell back between legs.
Targets shoulders, arms, obliques, legs
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, arms over head, holding ends of a single dumbbell in each hand.
- Lunge forward with left leg, bending both knees 90 degrees as you rotate torso to right and lower dumbbell by right knee.
- Return to start, then repeat. Switch sides for the next circuit.
Dead Lift With a Twist
Targets shoulders, back, arms, obliques, hamstrings
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, knees slightly bent, holding a dumbbell in each hand by sides.
- Hinge forward 90 degrees from hips, arms extending down, palms in.
- Return to standing, bending elbows 90 degrees to bring dumbbells by head (like a goalpost).
Targets shoulders, triceps, abs, butt, legs
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, then lower into a squat, placing palms on floor in front of feet.
Targets abs, butt, quads
- Stand with feet hip-width apart and arms by sides.
- Lower into a deep squat and raise arms, slightly bent, forward to chest level.
- Jump up, swinging arms behind as you turn body 180 degrees in midair toward right to land in a squat facing in opposite direction. MAKE IT EASIER: Turn just 90 degrees in midair to land facing right.
Originally published in FITNESS Magazine, May 2012.