Your Total-Body Tone-Up
What you'll need:
- Two 5- to 8-pound dumbbells
- A watch with a second hand
- A mat or carpeted surface
Do each exercise for 1 minute, then repeat the series 3 times through.
Step 1: Overhead Press with Leg Lift
Targets shoulders, chest, core, and thighs.
- Stand holding weights in front of shoulders, palms out.
- Balancing on left leg, lift right leg about 6 inches out to side and extend arms overhead.
- Lower leg and arms, keeping torso still.
- Do 15 reps (about 30 seconds); switch sides.
Step 2: Squat with Rotation
Targets obliques, hips, glutes, and thighs.
- Stand with legs shoulder-width apart, hands behind head, elbows out to sides.
- Squat, then rotate left elbow toward right knee; hold for 2 counts.
- Stand up and repeat, reaching right elbow to left knee.
- Do 12 to 15 reps per side (about 1 minute). Stand up between reps.
Step 3: Oblique Elbow Taps
Targets abs, obliques, and lower back.
- Sit with knees bent and feet on floor, fingertips on navel with elbows out to sides.
- Roll halfway toward floor and rotate torso to right, tapping right elbow to floor, then rotate left elbow to left side.
- Do 8 taps per side (about 20 seconds); lower to floor and rest for 5 seconds.
- Roll up to seated position and repeat.
Step 4: Alternating Bridge
Targets glutes, hips, and legs.
- Lie faceup with knees bent, feet hip-width apart on floor.
- Keeping arms at sides, lift hips as high as possible without overarching back, then extend right leg perpendicular to floor. Hold for 2 counts.
- Lower right leg and hips; switch sides and repeat.
- Do 12 to 15 reps (about 1 minute).
Step 5: Quadruped
Targets back, chest, arms, and core.
- Begin in full push-up position, legs extended shoulder-width apart.
- Do 1 push-up; at the top, lift right arm and left leg. Hold for 2 counts.
- Lower and do another push-up, lifting left arm and right leg; hold for 2 counts.
- Do 15 reps of the series (about 1 minute), alternating sides.
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, December 2007.